Acer Switch 5 - fingerprint reader and PIN authentification fails

ksXX
ksXX Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Overall the Switch 5 works great. The only complaint I have is that after some sleep/wake cycles windows authentification via fingerprint and also PIN fails. Sometimes even the long password does not work. After a reboot login is back to normal. Any ideas?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Hi ksXX,
    Few users have reported this issue for windows 10.
    I suggest you to open device manager and update your drivers and check if it works fine.
    Also, uncheck the option 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' in Device Manager->Power Management, and check if it stay unchecked? 

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist u further.

• Kilowatt2
    Kilowatt2 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I have had the authentication via fingerprint issue on my Switch 5 a few time but it has always been after a lot of sleep/wake cycles (30 or more) and I just do a restart and it reads correctly again.  I sometimes wonder if a Windows update occurred between sleep/wake cycle that may have cause the issue. I also had to log-in using the password only when this occurred. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>I sometimes wonder if a Windows update occurred between sleep/wake cycle that may have cause the issue.>>>

You might want to check to see if any auto winupdate restore points had been created with timestamps between these cycles. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Support45
    Support45 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I had the same issue, only when coming back on from sleep.  Similarly, a wireless mouse can cause issues.  If you have your wireless mouse's usb receiver plugged in, fold down the screen, THEN remove the usb, open the screen back up, log back in to windows, your touch pad does not work.  Requires reboot.  I've since disabled sleep when closing the laptop and ALSO since windows10 FALL edition auto launches your previous apps, even if you shut down from the windows button, I only ever use full shut down and cold boot every time. This thing launches so ***** fast anyways. 

FIX:  Don't let it sleep.  On or off, only! 

That said,  Best 2 in 1 ever. (under $999)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    >>>launches so ***** fast anyways. >>>

Thanks for your "fix". Some folks may still call it a "work-around". 8^) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Support45
    Support45 Member Posts: 2 New User
    You're most welcome.  What you choose to call it is entirely up to you, we just want you to enjoy your Switch.
  • ksXX
    Sharanji said:
    Hi ksXX,

Also, uncheck the option 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' in Device Manager->Power

Let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist u further.

This setting at least improved the situation a lot and maybe solved it entirely. Did not had the problem since then. Thank you! The alternative/newer driver offered by windows did not work at all...

• ksXX
    never had this issue again , so this was a permanent fix!
  • Zulucowboy
    Zulucowboy Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I used to have the problem but it seems it fixed itself probably after a windows update. I have a Bluetooth mouse and yes it does a lot of sleep cycles. 
  • ndl318
    ndl318 Member Posts: 22 Networker
    THank you for your info, it is really useful