Apostrophes and double quotes don't register & should I upgrade new BIOS (Predator 700)

Options
Bwarrior
Bwarrior Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello everyone. I am new to all these and bought my first gaming laptop- Acer Predator Triton 700. (yay!)
1. (Apostrophes and double quotes don't register ) Thought I ask you all how can I resolve the above and get my keyboard working? Really embarrassing but I need help, I dunno how to resolve the keyboard issue
2. Lastly, should I upgrade to the new BIOS update to address the Spectre and Meltdown bug? (Will this update affect/ slow the "beast" down?)

Thanks all!

Answers

• munkay
    munkay Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    edited January 2018
    Options
    RE. Isssue 1 - do they not register in any application, or is it just in MS Word/Office?

Also, what is your region and language set to in Windows?
  • Bwarrior
    Options
    its all... MS Word, outlook... even web browser interface I cannot register just that specific key. I am in Asia region- Singapore and I set my language to English (UK) 

What about the Spectre and Meltdown BIOS update... anyone tried the patch? Any experience to share??? (I like to do mine but I lack of the know-how... still trying to gather as much information as I can before I run the patch works.  
  • munkay
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So is it the 1 key (with " on shift). and the ' key (with @ on shift) that aren't working?

If ' and " are on the same key then I guess you have a different keyboard layout - for Asia I presume. If so, it's likely to be this in combination with the keyboard being set to English [UK] - try changing it to English International/Asia or some such?

Does the key register as being pressed before windows login - i.e. will it wake the computer?
  • munkay
    Options
    ...not sure where you are seeing the updated BIOS yet either? The most recent one on Acer's site is from 31/10/2017 - v1.05.
  • Bwarrior
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I am going to try the different keyboard layout. hopefully this works. 

Yes, I did see the BIOS update on ACER- Not sure is that the patch for the Meltdown bug... more importantly, did anyone updated their machine and if so, hows the performance????
  • munkay
    Options
    Good luck with the keyboard :)

I wouldn't have thought the BIOS on the site could address it as it is from October. We'll probably still be waiting on one for a year or so :disappointed:

Doesn't look like anyone from Acer posts here with any frequency/urgency :-1: