computer going to sleep

Blueskies
Blueskies Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2018 in Nitro Gaming
I've changed the power settings to never.  However the nitro 5 laptop keeps going to sleep and i have to log in. HELP! I'm ready to toss this computer.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Have you changed in Advanced power setting as well?

• Blueskies
    These are the current settings. I appreciate the help.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Try switching to different Power plan or create a new custom plan and check whether it resolves the problem, if not, I would suggest a system restore.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4588-system-restore-windows-10-a.html
  • Blueskies
    :angry: the custom plan didn't work. 
  • bnasty5
    bnasty5 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
    Ever find a solution? Similar problem here. 
  • Jonesie
    Jonesie Member Posts: 1 New User
    I was having this problem and fixed it using this solution. It involves a small registry change but if you follow the instructions exactly you won't have any problems.

The solution was found here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-keeps-going-into-sleep-after-1-minute/787e8cea-32ce-4ea0-a281-13c32a75352d?auth=1

1. Click on the windows icon
    2. Type regedit
    3. Right-click on regedit icon, click Run as administrator
    4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0
    5. Double click on Attributes
    6. Enter number 2.
    7. Go to Advanced power settings (click on Windows button, write power options, click on Power Options, in the selected plan click on the Change plan settings, click on the Change advanced power settings).
    8. Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable
    9. Click Sleep, then System unattended sleep timeout, then change these settings from 2 Minutes to 20 for example.

I hope this helps someone, it was driving me absolutely crazy until I was able to fix it. Just editing the regular power settings and advanced power settings does nothing, you have to edit the registry to allow you to access and change the System Unattended Sleep Timeout setting.

From what I've read it's a change Microsoft made in Windows 10 - why, I don't know, because it is totally frustrating and shouldn't require a registry edit just to prevent our computers from going to a lock/login screen after a few minutes of inactivity.
  • billybill
    billybill Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks Jonesie!!!! problem solved! much appreciated.
  • AnneHarrisRealty
    AnneHarrisRealty Member Posts: 3 New User
    Jonesie said:
    I was having this problem and fixed it using this solution. It involves a small registry change but if you follow the instructions exactly you won't have any problems.

The solution was found here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-keeps-going-into-sleep-after-1-minute/787e8cea-32ce-4ea0-a281-13c32a75352d?auth=1

1. Click on the windows icon
    2. Type regedit
    3. Right-click on regedit icon, click Run as administrator
    4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0
    5. Double click on Attributes
    6. Enter number 2.
    7. Go to Advanced power settings (click on Windows button, write power options, click on Power Options, in the selected plan click on the Change plan settings, click on the Change advanced power settings).
    8. Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable
    9. Click Sleep, then System unattended sleep timeout, then change these settings from 2 Minutes to 20 for example.

I hope this helps someone, it was driving me absolutely crazy until I was able to fix it. Just editing the regular power settings and advanced power settings does nothing, you have to edit the registry to allow you to access and change the System Unattended Sleep Timeout setting.

From what I've read it's a change Microsoft made in Windows 10 - why, I don't know, because it is totally frustrating and shouldn't require a registry edit just to prevent our computers from going to a lock/login screen after a few minutes of inactivity.
    I have the same issue with windows 8.1, and this didn't work. 
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    @AnneHarrisRealty please start a new Topic for your issue, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• NJDoc
    NJDoc Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've had this happen on several Acer desktop computers now.  The issue seems to go away on it's own eventually.  Perhaps it's resolved with Windows or Acer updates ?
  • NJDoc
    NJDoc Member Posts: 2 New User
    I tried following the instructions changing the registry etc. and it had no effect.  Last night I went to Control Panel, Power Options, and changed from the Acer Plan to the Balanced plan and then set the sleep to never.  This seems to have resolved the issue.