Help with Predator G9-591 (980m)

tamakiyoshisuoh
tamakiyoshisuoh Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello guys, now I don't know if this is the right place (I'm new and do correct me) but I'm facing a problem with this laptop..
I got this laptop back in Jan/Feb 2017 (new) and used it for 3D rendering n designing only , no gaming of any sorts until this September I started Pubg..
I know it's highly un-optimized game but ran well on lowest (Some at medium)settings @100+fps while streaming..

But at November end I had stopped gaming at all and used the laptop as I normally would for video editing n 3D modeling, so since yesterday I wanted to get back at Pubg and noticed the game could barely run @25fps and not only this affected Pubg but any graphics intensive game I throw at it..

Then after extensive search and googling I did the following :
1)uninstalled Nvidia drivers (using DDU) and did a clean install
2)uninstalled Pubg (deleted the binaries too) and did a clean install
3)Disabled GameDvr and other Nvidia overlays
4)Set Nvidia to max performance
5)Changed laptop settings to max performance
6)Changed steam launch options
7)set the 980m to be primary gpu

Well still nothing have fixed this issue so I decided to download MSI Afterburner to check the clock speeds and noticed a very unsual behaviour 

That apparently whenever I start Pubg or Project Cars2 (Or any other graphics intensive game), the clock speeds goes up to it's normal state but then gradually decrease to 405mhz (Yes even lower than 532mhz)..

Now I'm not getting any throttle issues or such overheating problems as the laptop is completely quiet with temps around 60C-70C-ish 
Please help me, It's annoying the F*** out of me ,
(Also I'm talking about when the laptop is plugged in obviously)
Specs:
i7-6700
Gtx 980m
16Gigs Ram
250GB SSD
1TB Hard

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Your GPU is throttling. You should only have one 'yes' on performance limit and it is utilization. The other 4 should be 'no', especially the performance limit - thermal, which in your case is 'yes'. Your GPU needs repasting, which means you have to contact Acer support in your region or repaste it yourself(void warranty).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Go to Nvidia control panel>3d settings and as preferred graphics processor select Nvidia. Also update your intel HD graphics driver to latest version from Intel's driver page. If it doesn't work, try the Intel driver available here.

What is the version of the Nvidia driver you are currently using?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    Go to Nvidia control panel>3d settings and as preferred graphics processor select Nvidia. Also update your intel HD graphics driver to latest version from Intel's driver page. If it doesn't work, try the Intel driver available here.

What is the version of the Nvidia driver you are currently using?
    Thanks for responding .. Yh it's already selected.
    Windows is fully updated but alright I'll update that too.

Using the latest driver 390.65
  • tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

Sadly the intel update didn't fix it  :'( 
  • ven98
    Last thing you can try is to update both Nvidia and Intel graphics drivers from Acer's driver page. I also suggest you to uninstall GeForce experience if you have it installed and check your in-game graphic settings.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    Last thing you can try is to update both Nvidia and Intel graphics drivers from Acer's driver page. I also suggest you to uninstall GeForce experience if you have it installed and check your in-game graphic settings.
    Hmm even they're outdated?

And in-game settings are the lowest possible .. As for a 980m It should handle them at the highest (which it did back in November)
  • tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

The issue here is that the 980m always seems to be stuck at 405mhz which it shouldn't.. as it should be by it's base clock speed which is  around 1000mhz
  • ven98

ven98 said:
    Hmm even they're outdated?

Try different drivers helps to determine whether the issue is caused by a driver. These drivers might be outdated, but they are configured to work best with your device. Did you uninstall Geforce experience?

You can try resetting the battery. Disconnect from AC adapter, turn off the laptop and follow the instructions. After resetting the battery let the laptop to rest for about 15-20minutes before connecting it back to AC and powering it on.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Yh Uninstalled It , got the old drivers and reset the battery still no luck  :'(

I dont get it .. what causes it to be underclocked when gaming .. like it happens only when gaming
  • ven98
    Can you try uninstalling MSI afterburner? It could be altering the clock speeds of your GPU. After you uninstall it, restart the system.

If it doesn't help try updating the BIOS. To check your current BIOS' version open RUN(win+r) and enter msinfo32. In system summary will be shown the version of the BIOS that is currently on your system. Download the latest BIOS here - it is version 1.11. Before executing the installation make sure the device is fully charged and connected to AC adapter. It may restart several times during the installation.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

Just did and nothing happened..

I already have the latest bios installed .. should I re-install it?
  • tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

Alright tried the bios update nothing happened ...
  • ven98
    I have no more ideas, except running a system restore or resetting windows to factory settings.

You can wait for someone else to comment your topic, who might have more ideas.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

Hmm Okay .. It's just weird .. I wonder what keeps the 980m at a constant 405mhz .. It doesn't increase at all (except at the start of the game when I restart)
  • ven98
    edited January 2018
    Can you download HWiNFO and in 'sensors' find where the GPU's status is located.

Run the game and check the GPU's power consumption. I think there is a bug or something else that limits the GPU's power consumption, that is why on games it is unable to run at maximum speeds. I suggest you to enter again in Nvidia control panel and set the power management mode to adaptive and then restart the laptop.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

Changed to adaptive mode and have the same results :(
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Your GPU is throttling. You should only have one 'yes' on performance limit and it is utilization. The other 4 should be 'no', especially the performance limit - thermal, which in your case is 'yes'. Your GPU needs repasting, which means you have to contact Acer support in your region or repaste it yourself(void warranty).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

Okay thanks :)

Are there specifically any good thermal pastes or I can apply any? (sorry don't know much about thermal pastes)
  • ven98
    I suggest you to use a non electrically conductive thermal paste. The best non-conductive thermal paste it Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, but if you want something cheaper, go for Arctic MX-4.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• tamakiyoshisuoh

Tinkerer

Alright, though which would be better for gaming?
    The "Noctua NT-H1"  or the "Arctic MX-4" ?
  • ven98
    The noctua is considered better by 2C, but I can't say anything about it, as I have never used it. MX-4 is very easy to apply and it spreads very easily, covering more area on the die. You can look up people's comments about the 2 compounds to help yout desicion.

NOTE: you need to apply as little thermal paste as possible just enough to spread around the die.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system