Any additional storage i can buy for Aspire R3?

Jemma
Jemma Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
R3 comes with little GB, i have nothing stored on my laptop yet there is not enough memory to perform any updates or download apps.
I have tried to change settings so storage is used from external hard drive but this does not work. I need more internal storage. Help?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Open File Explorer. Right click on the C:\ drive. Choose properties. Checkmark the compress disk box to save space. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Sounds like you have a R3-131-Cxxx with a 32GB flash drive. Can add a 32gb-128gb SD card (slot in back). Not sure about your model but may be able to increase the memory to 8GB - this will reduce your need for a swap file.

If you add compression (works very well) ,eliminate Hibernation, and reduce the swap file to about 500 MB you can get to 11-12GB free. Next, if you can eliminate all of the bloatware can reach 13-14GB free (essentially go to Settings>Apps and remove everything from third party suppliers (the trial for Microsoft Office is almost a GB)).

Finally if you pull a system image and create a recovery drive you can reclaim the 1GB recovery partition but I would consider this a last resort (have left mine alone and have 13.8-14GB free. With everything possible going to the SDcard (and have a backup copy of that).

Next time buy something with a larger main drive, at least 64GB for Windows 10-64, and would not have all of this trouble.

• Jemma
    Jemma Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you- i will give this a go