Need Reboot to CD/DVD Recovery for Gateway DX4860 UB33P

Befuddled
Befuddled Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Windows 10 previously installed maybe a year ago, and Jan 2018 mandatory update took place. Loaded only to 82% multiple times. Tried about 20 reboots. Now, it will turn on, but nothing shows on screen, hard drive works for short time, then stops. I do have Windows 10 recovery discs on both CD and DVD, but unable to change boot mode to startup using them. Have tried all sorts of options. F4, F5, F8, and Alt F10 key reboots. No luck. Thoughts?

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Hi
    Befuddled

Recovering from your recovery discs

To reinstall Windows and all pre-installed software and drivers:
    Turn on your computer, insert the first system recovery disc into your optical disc drive, then restart your computer.
    Caution: Continuing the process will erase all files on your hard drive.
    During startup, press F12 to open the boot menu.
    The boot menu is where you can select which device to start from, such as the hard drive or an optical disc.
    Use your arrow keys to select CDROM/DVD, then press Enter. Windows installs from the recovery disc you inserted. 
    Insert the second recovery disc when prompted, then follow the on-screen prompts to complete the recovery.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Befuddled

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Tried this, but didn't work. The hard drive unit's on-light will display, then the CD/DVD drive attempts to read then stops, the hard drive light goes from solid to intermittent and stops. All of this occurs in maybe 15 to 30 seconds. Unit-on light stays on, and nothing shows on the screen at any time. I tried with intermittent F12 key presses upon start, then another time with F12 key on completely. Same result. Left on each attempt maybe 3 minutes before on/off button pressed to turn off. I do have a backup of key files. 
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    you need to enter BIOS pressing Del key, then enable F12 boot menu key, by default is disabled.; once enabled press F10 key to save and exit.
    try again F12 key at boot.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Befuddled

Tinkerer

edited January 2018
    Tried your suggestion. Same result. Not sure whether to depress the Del key and hold it down or press it intermittently. Tried it both ways. Also not sure whether the DVD recovery disc needs to be in the CD/DVD drive, so I tried it both ways. Finally, I tried leaving the recovery disc in the drive and simply pressing the Start button. With this, the hard drive runs longer than the typical sequence of a few seconds of no activity, a few seconds when the CD/DVD drive turns on briefly, then about 13 or so seconds of hard drive activity before stopping. Since Sharanji noted in his earlier message that starting the computer with the recovery disc in the optical drive could erase all hard drive files which I prefer not to lose, even having a backup, I depressed the Off button to turn off the computer. This was when the hard drive was continuing to be on, but I had not depressed any buttons during the initial boot period.

I noticed that the monitor sometimes will display HDMI 1 with a black but BACKLIT screen for 6 seconds, then turn off the HDMI 1 for a totally black screen for 6 seconds before repeating this sequence. Only when the hard drive light continues to be on does the monitor not display anything. Don't know if this is relevant.
  • Befuddled

Tinkerer

Computer will still not boot. I've been setting up another computer we had for my wife so just getting back to the disabled one.

Does anyone have suggestions on what's best to do? I've tried all of the suggested key sequences to enable booting from the optical drive which has the recovery disk without success. I could be doing something wrong. Is it time to hire a technician, complain to Microsoft or Intel in some appropriate manner, or remove the hard drive and junk it? It seems to be too early to rush out and buy another computer until Intel manufactures chips without the  flaws which allow the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
  • Befuddled

Tinkerer

Appears to be bricked, so this is very disconcerting! I also contacted the Windows Community asking for guidance. They suggested the three reboots in a row. Tried it six times, using two segments of three then waited several hours before the next three, and these starts were with at least five minutes of run time before rebooting. Then tried it in two phases of three times, but with quick offs, maybe 15 seconds, then on. Nothing again.

It looks like I'm doomed on this computer. My next consideration may to remove the hard disk, plug it into an external base, and see if I can read from it, then junk the computer. Other is hire a technician, but it's a 7 to 8 year old i5 chip computer, so it hardly seems worth it.

Wondering what you would do or suggest?