G3-710 Bios update instructions R01-A4 to R02-A4 -- BIOS ROMID Error.

Options
maximuspa8in
maximuspa8in Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
Good afternoon!

I'm reaching out to the community seeking for help sorting this one out.

I bought a G3-710 at Costco not too long ago, however, I can't seem to get the BIOS updated from R01-A4 to R02-A4.

I followed to a "T" the instructions on this thread "https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533103/g3-710-bios-update-instructions", yet the bios process returns the dreaded:

"Error: ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID".

Any help/guidance is appreciated!

Thanks,
N

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi
    maximuspa8in

You directly install the latest version, unless stated otherwise. NOTE: As your BIOS is R01, you can't update to R02 ( 
    only compatible with Intel 7th Gen Kabylake platform). For example the BIOS you should upgarde to is R01.A4

If still unable to update, try to update BIOS to 
    R01.A2, boot and check if everything is working fine, then update to R01.A4.

Note : Upgrading your system BIOS incorrectly could harm your Acer product. Please proceed with caution.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • maximuspa8in
    Options
    Thx Shranji!

But my Bios is already R01-A4... I'm not quite following what you meant above.
  • maximuspa8in
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I think I figured this one out on my own.. by carefully reading the instructions!

The R02 updates are only for i7 7th Gen processors.. not for i7 6th Gens! : (

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6373?b=1&pn=DG.B14AA.008

If anyone reading this can confirm this is indeed the case, that would save people like me the headache hopefully.

Thx

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, you are running the latest BIOS, the A4 rev. A4 is the current one for both the R01 and R02 types.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
     How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx/R01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx/R01.xx versions
    P11.xx/R02.xx can only be updated using P11.x/ R02.xx versions (normally P11.xx/R02.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • maximuspa8in
    edited January 2018
    Options
    IronFly,

I'm not sure what was all that about lol!

In any case, so I went on and got me an i7-7700K and installed it on my current MB. I failed to note the MB ID but part of it read as "MIB150L-SophiaB LGA 1151".

To make a long stressful testing/trial short, it boils down to the following:

If you are running a MB SophiaB-based LGA 1151 whose BIOS is R01-A4 (latest BIOS supported by the MB), you won't be able to upgrade to an i7-7700/7700K.

You need to have a MB whose BIOS version is R02-A.x to have native support for any 7th gen i7 processor.

One could (technically) reverse engineer the BIOS signature with known tools in the industry, but it may or may not be worth the time, Frustration, and effort of proving Acer engineer's wrong.. why lock down a MB for? If I don't sell the MB, I would probably make it a hobby of tinkering with the BIOS and see where things end...

The fact is that for the price I got this PC at Costco ($900) it was not a bad buy! So it is what it is.

I went ahead and also bought a better m.2 SSD aside from the i7-7700K, and a newer (powerful) PSU to see if I can get me a 1080 ti FE later on.

So, $800 dollars later (on top of the $900), it definitely is not worth it to go through the hassle of getting things updated lol!

I hope someone finds this "helpful"!