G3-710 Bios update instructions

OscarMeat
OscarMeat Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2017 in Predator Desktops
Hey there! I just bought a second hand G3-710 and was trying to update bios from R02-A2 to R02-A3 with no success.
I've searched this forum and tried all suggested methods(from Windows, move the win and rom folders to root).
The appendix that comes with bios download isn't really heplful. I get an  "error 10- error:unable to load driver" but after that the update loads through but bios is not updated after reboot.

Could someone help that has succesfully updated their MBs bios from R02-A2 to R02-A3?

Best Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    yeah...
    ok, use the files from my last link on the USB flash drive (R02-A2) then copy/paste-overwrite only these 2 files from the R02-A3 BIOS
    FLASH.nsh
    R02-A3.CAP
    and delete
    R02-A2-CAP
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • OscarMeat
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Ironfly! I got it done.

However, you can't just replace the flash.nsh, you will need to modify the one from "g3_bios_revovery_zip" to point to the .cap-file you want to update. 

I modified the flash.nsh in the g3_bios_recovery.zip as follows

@echo off
    AfuEfix64 R02-A3.cap /P /B /N /R
    @echo on

Answers

• IronFly
    check if your Desktop is running on UEFI and not Legacy/LaunchCSM
    windows logo + r key
    type
    msinfo32

check BIOS mode string
  • OscarMeat
    Checked, it's UEFI. 
  • IronFly
    edited November 2017
    that error normally is triggered by permission issue, like not running the update as administrator; by the way, i can suggest you to follow the UEFI update instructions and create the USB UEFI BIOS flash, so it will bypass any windows OS issue.
  • OscarMeat
    Hmm, I am running windows as admin. Do you refer to the Acer's instructions on EFI update? I tried it as well with no luck. Seems there's something missing from that instruction.
  • IronFly
    I think the instructions are the same as this link but have a look, since it worked for other users.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47093#_ga=2.195517164.1332231341.1509608163-414048912.1482910658
  • OscarMeat
    That’s exactly where I’m stuck. That bios_recovery file is for R02-A2 and seems to work fine.
    I just can’t get the R02-A3 version to work. The newer bios download from acer support doesn’t contain the same files that that bios_recovery-zip has.
    I’m hesitant to just replace the R02-A2.cap file with the R02-A3.cap because I don’t specifically know how these things work.

Right now I’m at a point where I have the files on usb drive per the appendix efi update sop instruction pdf and can’t get it to show up in boot menu.

• IronFly
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    yeah...
    ok, use the files from my last link on the USB flash drive (R02-A2) then copy/paste-overwrite only these 2 files from the R02-A3 BIOS
    FLASH.nsh
    R02-A3.CAP
    and delete
    R02-A2-CAP
  • OscarMeat
    Answer ✓
    Thank you Ironfly! I got it done.

However, you can't just replace the flash.nsh, you will need to modify the one from "g3_bios_revovery_zip" to point to the .cap-file you want to update. 

I modified the flash.nsh in the g3_bios_recovery.zip as follows

@echo off
    AfuEfix64 R02-A3.cap /P /B /N /R
    @echo on

• IronFly
    mmm i looked at the flash.nsh files and the string seems ok on R02.A3, by the way, glad you sorted out.
  • Tontza1
    Tontza1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can someone help. i want to update from R01-A4 to something newer
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Why? Your R01-A4 is the latest version for your MB...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.