No audio output device is installed?? Pls help! [Weird Issue]

ken431256
ken431256 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, been getting this issue where in game CSGO, I would somehow experience a problem where my speaker would work fine. But when I speak into the mic, static sound comes out and my friends would complain about it. This only happens like once a week. 

Then once I restart my computer; the Volume icon in the taskbar would have a red "x'" cross on it. And it would say "No audio output device is installed". I would restart and restart countless times, it would not be fixed and I was stuck with no audio AT ALL. Looking into Device Manager, under System Devices; it appears that "Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller" had problems and Windows stopped it.

I tried many fixes such as restore point all the way back to the earliest point in time and yet, audio would not work.

Then, I thought of trying to boot into my Linux on a USB stick. And here's the crazy part. 

I went into BIOS to switch boot order to my USB drive. But I accidentally selected Exit Discarding Changes. Then behold! My audio was working and everything was back to normal.

Somehow going into BIOS fixed it?

...Then 4 days later, my mic suddenly has static again but my speakers were working fine (according to my friends on CSGO). I restarted my laptop, and the Volume icon was a red cross again.

So I retraced my steps and went into BIOS and Exit Discarding Changes again. And my problem was fixed! My volume icon is back. 

I am using the latest BIOS update for Acer Predator Helios 300 (G3-572). Please advice. This may be a temporary solution (to enter BIOS and exit) but I fear one day it might not work again. 

P.S. Is it safe to say it is more of a driver issue than a physical one? Becuase when I connected my headphones (when the Volume icon had a red cross), my headphone and mic would not work. So does this confirm it is more of a software issue than a physical one? I don't want to bring it in for repairs again.

Can someone advise me on what's happpening?

Best Answer

• Sloonum
    Sloonum Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Answer ✓
    ken431256 said:
    Hi, been getting this issue where in game CSGO, I would somehow experience a problem where my speaker would work fine. But when I speak into the mic, static sound comes out and my friends would complain about it. This only happens like once a week. 

Then once I restart my computer; the Volume icon in the taskbar would have a red "x'" cross on it. And it would say "No audio output device is installed". I would restart and restart countless times, it would not be fixed and I was stuck with no audio AT ALL. Looking into Device Manager, under System Devices; it appears that "Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller" had problems and Windows stopped it.

I tried many fixes such as restore point all the way back to the earliest point in time and yet, audio would not work.

Then, I thought of trying to boot into my Linux on a USB stick. And here's the crazy part. 

I went into BIOS to switch boot order to my USB drive. But I accidentally selected Exit Discarding Changes. Then behold! My audio was working and everything was back to normal.

...Then 4 days later, my mic suddenly has static again but my speakers were working fine (according to my friends on CSGO). I restarted my laptop, and the Volume icon was a red cross again.

So I retraced my steps and went into BIOS and Exit Discarding Changes again. And my problem was fixed! My volume icon is back. 

I am using the latest BIOS update for Acer Predator Helios 300 (G3-572). Please advice. This may be a temporary solution (to enter BIOS and exit) but I fear one day it might not work again. 

P.S. Is it safe to say it is more of a driver issue than a physical one? Becuase when I connected my headphones (when the Volume icon had a red cross), my headphone and mic would not work. So does this confirm it is more of a software issue than a physical one? I don't want to bring it in for repairs again.

1 million upvotes to you sir and/or ma'am.

Downloaded hand fulls of driver fixing software, uninstalled and reinstalled anything related to sound, tinkered with my machine for around 6 hours straight. I was about to give up and was preparing to pay for the repair when I stumbled across this post, went into BIOS and restarted my machine and lo and behold the sound is back! 

Thank you techno Jesus, I will always remember you.

Answers

• ken431256
    And yes, I have reinstalled the latest audio driver from Acer support page as well. When my Volume icon initially had the "red cross" thing, it was the first thing I did (reinstall driver) and when I rebooted my laptop, it was still a red cross. Going into the BIOS and exiting fixed my issue. Why is this?
  • Sarkazum
    Sarkazum Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issue. If you try to run the troubleshooter, it doesn't find a problem. This is the second time it has happened to me. The first time, I went to the BIOS like u said, ran troubleshooter again, and it asked me to apply settings and then restart. Not a clue what happened, I didn't change anything. but now its happening again.
  • ken431256
    Collectively, it has happened to me about 4-5 times again throughout the 3 months, and I redid my going into the BIOS thing and it temporarily fixes it. Can a dev please respond to this issue? 
  • TechSaavy
    TechSaavy Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hi There,

Access the computer manufacturer website and download the chipset driver and reinstall it. Post which update the audio driver. 

Regards,
    TechSaavy
  • Sloonum
    Sloonum Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Answer ✓
    ken431256 said:

1 million upvotes to you sir and/or ma'am.

Downloaded hand fulls of driver fixing software, uninstalled and reinstalled anything related to sound, tinkered with my machine for around 6 hours straight. I was about to give up and was preparing to pay for the repair when I stumbled across this post, went into BIOS and restarted my machine and lo and behold the sound is back! 

Thank you techno Jesus, I will always remember you.
  • moreirawebmastter
    moreirawebmastter Member Posts: 1 New User
    ken431256 said:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE SO MUCH!!!!!

You is a angel! Thanks a lote!!!!!!!!!!! (l)
  • Chappro
    Chappro Member Posts: 1 New User
    You're an absolute legend! Spent hours trying to fix this issue until I read your post. You deserve a beer! My issue started with CSGO too! I made an account just to thank you <3