BIOS upgrade cripples Aspire v3-112p

eightwt
eightwt Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I flashed my Aspire v3-112p BIOS to version 1.16. The installer said it was successful. Upon rebooting the laptop I found that the sleep option fails, and shutdown fails. In both cases the laptop drops into some sort of state with the power light constantly lit. The only way to recover in both instances is to hold the power button for 5 seconds and reboot. BTW, this happens in both Windows and Linux, as my laptop is dual boot.

I have discovered how to get into the BIOS Advanced configure menu where I tried to find something that may help. This menu is an alphabet soup of options of which there is little to no documentation, so I'm hesitant to make a lot of changes.

Is there anything anywhere that documents all these options, bug reports of this BIOS, or help anywhere? My laptop is way out of warranty so calling tech support is not an option, at least not a free one.

Comments

• Kinnison
    Kinnison Member Posts: 4 New User
    Is your BIOS set so that your machine is booting in legacy mode? I'm having exactly the same problem with my Acer V3-112p with that particular BIOS. So far the only solution that I've found that fixes the shutdown/suspend problems is to set the BIOS so that the machine will boot in UEFI mode and reinstall both of your operating systems.
  • eightwt
    Yes, I run in legacy mode, but I stumbled on a solution. First I got rid of Windows for good. It was really too much of a pain in the ***** to bother with. I run Linux Mint 18.3 as my working system. I installed Grub Customizer and in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file I had previously commented out the line 'gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode' so I would see output as it booted. By uncommenting this line I was able to get shutdown/suspend to work. Don't ask me why, but it does seem to be a graphics/memory thing. I also increased my swap space to 11G (I have 8G of RAM) but I can't see that the system even uses it. My drive is an SSD so I don't hibernate.

I did think about going full UEFI, but reinstalling this tricked-out system wass more than I wanted to tackle, and before I heard from you I didn't know if it would work. Thanks for contacting me. I sometimes boot other OSes from .iso files on this computer and most of them allow shutdown/suspend now also.

While I have your ear... have you had any problems with the SD card slot? Since I got this laptop the SD card slot will work only after bootup. If I suspend the system the card slot will stop working after resume. The BIOS is in Legacy mode and the OS can be either Windows or Linux, doesn't matter. This was the original problem I was trying to fix with a BIOS upgrade. See how that worked :(

So if your card slot works as it should in UEFI mode maybe I'll go through the torture of reinstalling my OS.

BTW, have you seen the Advanced menu in the BIOS? There as soooo many tweaks there.

Geoff
  • Kinnison
    Hi Geoff,

I've tested the SD slot under both Windows 10 64-bit and Ubuntu 17.10.1 64-bit in UEFI mode. Under both operating systems the slot is detected and works perfectly after I suspend and resume the laptop. 

I've taken a look at the advanced options In the BIOS menu. There is a fair number of options but none of them seem to resolve the problem of my laptop locking up when in legacy mode. I'm not sure if this is indeed a bug in the BIOS update for if this was a deliberate design by Acer. I've also tried to update the BIOS to version 1.17 but that update wouldn't complete.

This is the second Acer machine that I've owned that has caused problems either through the BIOS or due to power supply issues. I'm fond of the V3-112p - indeed, I'm using it to type this - but this problem is putting me off from buying Acer again. I hope that someone from Acer is reading this and can shed some light on what's going on.

Ken 
  • eightwt
    OK, so the SD slot works when booted UEFI, but not in Legacy mode. Sounds like Acer doesn't really want anyone to use Legacy. I removed the HDD and installed an SSD but everything installed as Legacy. I did not install Windows. If I want to run UEFI I have to create the EFI boot partition and do some other magic I suppose. It might be worth it to get the SD functionality. If I were you I wouldn't bother with 1.17 unless it is a fix for stuff you need. (Wow. I just looked at the Acer site and they ONLY have the 1.17 firmware available. A couple weeks ago they had two versions.) If I could, I'd go back to version 1.03, the one I started with.

Did you start out with Windows 10 and just add Ubuntu?
  • Kinnison
    I started with Windows 10 and then installed Ubuntu alongside it. I then removed Windows to run Ubuntu exclusively. The problem with running Ubuntu in UEFI mode on my laptop was that I had to set the BIOS to specify a boot file on the EFI partition so that Ubuntu would boot. This wasn’t an issue with Windows. I learned not long afterwards that this was an issue specific to Acer machines. I’ve since reinstalled Windows 10 and it’s been running on the laptop ever since.

I’ve run Ubuntu in legacy mode and UEFI mode on my non-Acer machines without so much as a hiccup so what Acer has done with that BIOS update has completely mystified me...
  • eightwt
    Can't say too much now. Out of country. Did some reading about Acer re:uefi and the biggest thing I took away was the need to disable secure boot. Overkill anyway. I'll stick with my present setup until such time as I need to change. For now me and my computer are separated for another 5 weeks until I get home. Ciao.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018
    @Kinnison

If your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8.1, you might want to go back to Windows 8.1 if you're having problems.  Your computer isn't on the list for Windows 10 fall creator.  

@eightwt

Your computer wasn't designed to run Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 in legacy mode.  You should never need to disable secure boot.  You're reading the wrong articles online.

To dual boot Windows and Mint in UEFI/EFI mode is about as easy as it gets if you know what you're doing.   ;)

These are the steps I would follow to switch everything back from your setup/mess in legacy to UEFI (you need to completely wipe your drive and start over)  I'll assume your computer came pre-installed with Windows 8.1.  If not, the same steps work for Windows 10, although your computer model isn't on the list.

1. Backup your important personal files
    2. Create Windows 8.1 USB installation media

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

3. Go in to BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)

4. Boot the Windows USB media

5. When you see the language screen below, press Shift+F10 to get a command prompt.

6.  At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x    (x=the drive you're going to wipe and install Windows/linux)----Don't select the wrong disk number.
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit

7. Press and hold your computer's power button until your computer shuts off.

8.  Turn on your computer and install Windows 8.1.  Select Custom installation.  Click on your drive (it should say unallocated space) and click Next and the Windows installer will automatically partition and format your drive and install windows.  Your Windows 8.1 drivers are here. Windows 10 drivers will probably be installed automatically.

9. After Windows installs, go to windows Disk Management and shrink your C drive by however much unallocated space you want Mint to have.

10. Create Mint USB media using rufus.  Use the same settings on the rufus home page.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

11.  Go in to BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu, make sure secure boot is enabled and set a supervisor password and add Grub to the trusted secure boot settings.  Install Mint.

See link below.  And see post below.  And you'll have your dual boot.......just like magic.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538305/cant-access-uefi-after-installing-linux-dual-boot#latest

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • eightwt
    If u read the whole thread you'd see I started with a clean SSD and I don't want any windows partitions at all, legacy or uefi. Sorry u went through the trouble to post such detailed information. If you have such a detailed description of how to go to uefi without wiping my drive (just OS is ok) I'M be happy to read it.
    As far as secure boot is concerned, what's the point? Just to make the boot process more complicated? 
  • JordanB
    The point of my post is to point out that you didn't install linux and/or Windows properly.  Your problems are due to your user error.   And I wanted to make sure you knew that your problems that you described in this thread were all associated with your user error.  There's no "magic" involved.  It's just a matter of knowing the correct procedure to install linux in UEFI mode.....which is really simple.....not complicated.  Good luck.
  • eightwt
    Unfortunately new drives don't usually come with Windows or UEFI partitions installed, nor instructions on how to do so. It's a learning curve. I wouldn't call it an error. However Acer, like all Windows-centric companies, does not help matters by offering legacy BIOS modes and crippling them at the same time. Documentation is poor to non-existant. Just saying.
  • JordanB
    If you decide to re-install only Mint in UEFI mode, then follow all of those steps except step 8 and step 9.  Skip steps 8 and 9. 

• eightwt
    Cool. Thank.
  • Kinnison
    edited February 2018
    @JordanB: Re your post about the version of Windows that I'm using - my laptop was running Windows 10 fine in legacy mode before I applied the BIOS update. The problem has nothing to do with the operating system but has everything to do with the BIOS update which I believe to be buggy and should never have been released without proper testing. Acer has seriously screwed up on this one in my opinion.
  • JordanB
    @eightwt

@Kinnison

Check with @tomatoocean

Maybe tomatoocean can help.  Feel free to send tomatoocean a private message and ask for advice.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/532617/acer-v3-112p-p5b3-uefi-seems-bricked-need-your-efi-files