how to Disabling Optimus on my A515-51G laptop

R7vmc
R7vmc Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
Hi Acer Community,

i want to disable Nvidia Optimus on my A515-51G laptop how can i disable it ?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    With modded BIOS this option will be available, but I can't help you with that. There are communities that are dealing with BIOS modding and can help you. You just need to find them.

Modding the BIOS voids warranty.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Unfortunately, you can't. There isn't an option in BIOS allowing you to disable the integrated GPU or dedicated GPU. The best thing you can do is go to nvidia control panel>3d settings and as preferred graphics processor to choose Intel or Nvidia. With this mehod, it will make the GPU you have chosen to work most of the time.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• R7vmc
    R7vmc Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
    ven98 said:
    Unfortunately, you can't. There isn't an option in BIOS allowing you to disable the integrated GPU or dedicated GPU. The best thing you can do is go to nvidia control panel>3d settings and as preferred graphics processor to choose Intel or Nvidia. With this mehod, it will make the GPU you have chosen to work most of the time.
    ok is there any modded bios or something like that ?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    With modded BIOS this option will be available, but I can't help you with that. There are communities that are dealing with BIOS modding and can help you. You just need to find them.

Modding the BIOS voids warranty.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Vrushab79
    Vrushab79 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Its 2021 now can we get a bios update which let us disable optimus am tired of this i spent my savings on this laptop to get scammed :-1:
  • Omblue
    Omblue Member Posts: 2 New User
    Even if the bios is updated, you can't change it beacause the nitro series don't have MUX switch (MUX switch is a hardware physicale switche for this connection) to change if the monitor is connected to the motherboard (iGPU)(intel graphics) or connected to the dedicated graphics card (dGPU)(nvidia rtx 2060). So the screen in nitro series is only connected to the motherboard and not both to the motherboar (intel graphics or amd) and the graphics card at the same time with a MUX switch so you can change the connexion with a simple reboot.

But you can bypass optimus by connecting an other screen to your laptop with hdmi or other because it directly connected to the graphics card wich allow your gpu to directly send data to the screen without having to go to the integrated gpu and bypass nvidia optimus and having more FPS. Hop i helped you understand
  • Omblue
    Omblue Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have a acer nitro 5 and it's suck that it dont have a MUX switch to use optimus when on battery to save a lot of batterie energy and only the GPU to have better performance
This discussion has been closed.