Updating Audio Drivers in the "right" way [Helios 300]

Fernan
Fernan Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited February 2018 in Predator Laptops
Hi guys. I've found a weird issue with the sound system of my laptop. Sometimes the computer start to generate a "cracking" sound when I'm listening something (youtube, music and so on). It doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it can last for a good amount of time (several minutes). I was really worry that this was a hardware problem (related with the connection of the speakers or something like that), until I made an interesting discovery.

When the cracking sound appears, I just have to close all the apps and the noise will just dissapear (just like that). Usually I'm just watching a YT video on Firefox, and the cracking sound suddenly appears. So I just close the browser, and then open it again, and the sound is not there anymore. It is not just with Firefox but almost with any software I have open (Photoshop, Windows Media Player and more).

So I now think this can be an issue with the audio drivers, and will be updating them to see if this fix the issue. But I have some questions about the process:

Should I use the driver installer from the Acer page, or is better to go to the vendor page directly? Should I uninstall the old ones before making the new installation? Any advice related to the updating process?

I would like to hear some opinions from you guys. Thank you so much.

Best Answer

• Fernan
    Answer âś“
    I've fix the issue by installing the drivers from the Acer page. No more weird sounds since 2 days ago.

Funny thing is that I have initially the driver version 6.0.1.8224 (8/1/2017), and ended up with the version 6.0.1.8158 (5/16/2017). So it seems that the newer version was causing the problem, and rolling back to an older version fixed the issue completely.

Just to let you know guys. Regards.

Answers

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited January 2018
    You should use the audio driver from your laptop's support page. Acer provides a Dolby Atmos add-on (and I suspect other tweaks), while the driver from the vendor will be the basic driver which will work but not have Acer specific goodies in it.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • adamo000
    adamo000 Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    With Realtek drivers for helios 300, you will get Dolby Audio, not Atmos.
  • adamo000 said:
    With Realtek drivers for helios 300, you will get Dolby Audio, not Atmos.
    Woops. Dolby Atmos is Dolby's cellphone audio software. *facepalming*

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Trouserwitz
    Trouserwitz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same problem, it's super annoying.  For me, I just updated everything through the Acer Product Support page, but nothing fixed the crackling issue.  I did not uninstall anything before updating.
    I mean, it goes away like you said when you close everything or restart, but that should never be a solution to this problem.  I've seen other threads also stating it's most likely a problem with Dolby Audio, which does feel like that's correct.  So...yeah, great.
  • Nikos
    Nikos Member Posts: 1 New User
    Also the same problem. Is there something we can do?
  • ken431256
    ken431256 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    I recently sent my Acer Helios 300 in for motherboard replacement. When I got it back, it appeared that the technician installed some third party program called "DriverPack" which my Avast antivirus picked up as malware. I did not pay much attention to it until I played YouTube, there would be similar "crackling" sound as you all have mentioned here. 

Looking into the Device Manager driver version for my audio, it appeared that the technician used the DriverPack thing and installed the WRONG driver version for my Helios 300 (I crossed checked the audio driver installed with the official audio driver support page for Acer), So I downloaded the right drivers off my Helios 300 acer support page and voila, no more crackling sound. 

Hope this weird case of mine helps. However, I am experiencing this weird issue which I hope you guys can take a look at as well regarding audio drivers.. 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537747/no-audio-output-device-is-installed-pls-help-weird-issue#latest
  • Fernan
    Answer âś“
    I've fix the issue by installing the drivers from the Acer page. No more weird sounds since 2 days ago.

Funny thing is that I have initially the driver version 6.0.1.8224 (8/1/2017), and ended up with the version 6.0.1.8158 (5/16/2017). So it seems that the newer version was causing the problem, and rolling back to an older version fixed the issue completely.

Just to let you know guys. Regards.

• AnuragOne
    AnuragOne Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2018
    I have another fix as above didn't work, i removed 2 Dolby add-on's from control panel which has fixed the issue , especially during i play games.
    I guess Acer should test the device on "games" along with "Skype" before selling it.
    Dolby can still be deactivated and activated from sounds and devices speaker properties.

Initial problem was that sounds of game got muffled during any VoIP call on in game comm's.
    Dolby was getting deactivated whenever i started in game comm's on VoIP using Skype.
  • szopin
    szopin Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Does anybody have another fix? Tried both above, while they help a bit, the crackling sound issue is still there, just shows up after longer duration. Restarting firefox is usually enough to fix it for the next x hours, but it still is not an acceptable solution. Does Acer/dolby even acknowledge it is an issue?
  • Lydie
    Lydie Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Hello, I exactly have the same problem as all of of you about the crackling sound, actually the technicians reinstall some drivers yesterday on my predator and its beens since serverals hours playing sound like YouTube, Spotify ect...and I am suprise no to hear any crakling sound anymore, I was very scared the problem would be hardware or from one of my trading software but obviously now that I don't hear wierd sound for several hours I really think then that it is just a driver problem, I will ask the technicians what he exatcly did because I know he also used Driver Pack but he alswo went to Acer website
  • SolidSnakeFUZ
    SolidSnakeFUZ Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hi same problem here and resolved with driver 6.0.1.8158
  • Lion350
    Lion350 Member Posts: 1 New User
    So I've had this same problem as well and when I try to install the old driver I am immediately told by the program that I can't install it because I have the newest version already. Do I have to uninstall the old driver first beforehand or do something else. And if some guide or manual exists to help me with it then can I please be linked to it?
  • adamo000
    adamo000 Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Yes, try uninstalling drivers that you have already installed, turn off wifi (disabling autmoatically update via Windows Update service), restart pc, install older one and restart. If Windows updates drivers autmomatically, go to device manager and roll back to older again. 
  • NotDono
    NotDono Member Posts: 3 New User
    Guys, i need help please, i have no idea on how to reinstall the drivers and the "cracking" noise is really annoying, can anyone explain how should i proceed?
  • rapidspitfire7
    rapidspitfire7 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I'm having this problem too, pretty sure it's only with headphones in (not the headphones have tried multiple).
  • Ramsree
    Ramsree Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the same crackling sound issues, can some please help me to fix this issues , also please help me how download the below version audio driver 6.0.1.8224?
  • Ramsree
    Ramsree Member Posts: 2 New User
    do we any link to download old version driver driver 6.0.1.8158?