Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-54E8 - Two HDD/SSD slots or one?

Options
Balconybar
Balconybar Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi folks,
I just got a new E15-575-54E8 laptop and I'm very happy with it. I understand the spec's and before I bought it the seller said I should be able to add an SSD alongside the 1TB HDD. In the Acer Care Center program running on my PC it says "Hard Drive 1" and "Hard Drive 2", although somewhat confusingly it states the same Toshiba HDD occupies both slots.

I want to add a 500GB SSD and when I took a look under the hood the onboard HDD seemed very fixed in place and hard to move. I didn't want to take it out yet. Also, it looked to me like there is only one Drive slot in there, not two. I don't want to lose my 1TB storage drive, but I want to migrate my OS onto a new SSD alongside it.

I can't find a convincing answer anywhere. Can anyone please tell me if indeed there are two slots - HD1 and HD2 - and is it a simple matter to insert a new SSD alongside the HDD?
Many thanks in advance.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,114 Trailblazer
    Options
    Hi,
    You can install a M.2 SSD and migrate the OS to it, use 1TB drive for your storage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wH2jIKK_M4
  • Balconybar
    Options
    Aah, I see, M.2 drive. So can I assume from your answer there there is in fact only one SATA slot on this PC and not two? I actually have a 500GB SATA SSD that I was hoping to use, but if there's no home for it then I will change plans.
    Thanks again.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    No problem, you have one 2.5" SATA slot(1TB drive) and a M.2 SATA SSD slot( one in between HDD and memory modules).
  • Balconybar
    Options
    Hi thanks, I'll look into M.2. Meanwhile however, what's your thinking on this sort of SSD caddy for the optical drive: Acer Aspire V3-574G HDD Caddy . Would this be a secure home for a c:\ drive?

And finally thanks for getting back to me. My laptop is new and I too have this yellow-screen issue that others have reported in the Acer community. My screen background is definitely yellow-ish and colours are not so bright compared to other laptops I have had and compared to. Did you have any update or comments on any fix for this issue?
    Many thanks again, Gordon

PS: I would have posted links to both the HDD Caddy and Yellow Screen Acer forum discussions but as a new member here I was told I cannot post links, yet.
    PPS: Are you a real Brummy fan? My brother works in Birmingham and goes to watch both Birmingham City and Villa, for his sins!
  • Balconybar
    Options
    Hi again, One final question re the SSD - I realise M.2 drives come in a few different spec's with "B" key, "M" key and "B&M" key edge connectors. What specific spec's of M.2 do I need for my laptop E5-575-54E8?
    Many thanks again
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi again, One final question re the SSD - I realise M.2 drives come in a few different spec's with "B" key, "M" key and "B&M" key edge connectors. What specific spec's of M.2 do I need for my laptop E5-575-54E8?
    Many thanks again

Hi,
    Please read this thread below, it has been discussed with the method to find the NVMe compatibility in your model with pictures. You need to find out the value for maximum link width, if it's 2x or 4x for PCI Express Root Port, then you can install a NVMe SSD.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/497241/acer-aspire-e5-575-52jf-m-2-nvme-support/p1
  • Balconybar
    Options
    Hi,
    OK, will do, thanks for the link re M.2
    Finally, did you have any suggestions re the HDD Caddy for the optical drive?
    And what is the updated Acer view on the "yellow screen" issue that many of us seem to suffer from?

Many thanks,
    Gordon
  • hugosal
    hugosal Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    This is what my E5-575 M.2 slot looks like. I've got the same question , does it support a SATA III or an Nvme SSD?

• brummyfan2
    Options
    hugosal said:
    This is what my E5-575 M.2 slot looks like. I've got the same question , does it support a SATA III or an Nvme SSD?

Hi,
    Install HWiNFO64 free program, run it, expand Bus, expand PCI Bus, highlight PCI Express Root Port and check the maximum link width in the right pane, if you find the value of 2x to any of the ports, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD, please read this thread for more information:https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/497241/acer-aspire-e5-575-52jf-m-2-nvme-support/p1

• viecky
    viecky Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    Can i install Crucial SSD into my Aspire E5-575G-5419 ?
    And what type of ssd does it support, M.2 Sata III or nVME