not so much a question - as a few thoughts. Acer Chromebook CB5-132T. Disappointing !!

JBrittA
JBrittA Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Decided to try an Acer Chromebook as my new casual laptop.  Check emails, type a letter or two, surf the web, some social media work -  seems just what they had in mind as the perfect user when developed.  
However, the machine fails on so many levels.  
First , some good news.,   Its a very nicely engineered machine,   I mean , the case feels nice, it looks sharp sitting on my desk, its small and easy to grab on the way out the door.   -   battery is pretty nice as well   -  but that's where it ends.  

1.  performance is SAD.  slow to render , slow to open apps,  when connected to an external display, constantly crashes -  and after only 5 weeks of what I consider pretty light use, the machine has slowed to a crawl with background processes running and other occupations that frustrate the hell out of me when I'm trying to get something like a bread recipe printed.   

2.  Suffers from an identity crisis.  Is it an Android device??   is it ChromeOS?   Is it better using ChromePlugIns and Chrome InBrowser AZpps?   Cause most everything has an app that will isntall for all of these, and no guidance on which is the better option.   

3.  Confusing navigation.   Save 4 files in one day, adn you will be presented with 5 different storage places to put them.   And good luck going back there later.   DOes it store in the cloud?  ON this device?   and will it save itself with an extension that will be useable alter... probably not,   

4.  Small screen.  Small gray text on white backgrounds?  Tiny little buttons to close windows?   Give us a screen magnifier that's easy to use.  

5.  Touch screen is clumsy at best.   And the keyboard is unusable on screen.   --I know its got three different formations / uses with that hinge.   but laptop mode is the only real functional configuration but laptop styler works.   

6.  Since its a no brainer size and setup for social media.   go all in.    Rear facing camera.  Better resolution cam, better mic , useable skype , useable hangouts , notifications that actually notify.   
 Audio is a miss,  
Video lags
No warning that the battery is going to die, until it dies.   

Processors that matter.   OSs that have a coherent thought, tighten up the hardware and its performance designed for whats coming up tomorrow - instead of what we ran yesterday.  

...  i think its time to go back to the iPad.   

Cheers.   
J Britt'