Acer Aspire 6920G Running Windows 10 Black Screen with No Cursor on Startup

Options
NikaMonkey
NikaMonkey Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi Folks,

first time using a forum for computer issues but I have a doozy.  Every single time I start my laptop (either on boot up or wake up from sleep) I see nothing but a black screen with no cursor.  It's not completely dark however as I can very barely see the background and I know the computer is working behind the scenes.  My workaround has been to hit the Windows-P function and hit Down-Enter then Up-Enter to switch the screen display and after between 10 and 50 times I'm successful.  I've scoured the internet and tried everything including driver uninstalls/reinstalls/updating/etc, all the way up to a full Windows 10 reinstall from scratch (among countless other things).  This tells me it's not a graphics card issue as once it starts up it works flawlessly until I shut it down and restart another time (I'm using it right now).  Once I finally get the machine up and running I am able to also restart without any issues.  Based on the number of users with legacy laptops out there with similar problems this seems to be a compatibility issue with Windows 10 but they won't seem to admit to anything.

Specs:

Acer Aspire 6920G
Windows 10 64-bit x64
Nvidia GE Force 9500M GS (Stock)
4GB Ram (Upgraded from 2GB to 4GB years ago)
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5750@2.00GHZ

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated as this old laptop still has lots of life in her yet!

Thanks!!!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    try to update the nvidia drivers, downloading from nvidia website:
    https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/112600
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • NikaMonkey

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks IronFly, I tried this multiple times including last night.  Appreciate the response.
  • IronFly
    Options
    if you connect the laptop to an external monitor/TV are you able to always see the image?
  • NikaMonkey

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes I just tried this actually as I found an old monitor and it came on immediately.  Any thoughts now?  The confusing part to me the most is that display will work eventually and then be fine until I shut the machine off or put it to sleep overnight then the battle starts again.

Thanks.
  • IronFly
    Options
    i know that the latest windows 10 update screwed some graphic drivers with similar issues as yours but your look like a backlight issue if you still see an image even if the screen is blackened.

no more ideas on my side.
  • NikaMonkey

Tinkerer

Options
    Any idea if an LCD inverter would make a difference.  Would a bad inverter work sometimes and not others?
  • NikaMonkey

Tinkerer

Options
    Any idea if an LCD inverter would make a difference.  Would a bad inverter work sometimes and not others?
  • IronFly
    Options
    it can be.
  • NikaMonkey

Tinkerer

Options
    FYI to anyone out there who's paying attention and had the same issue.  A new LCD inverter from Amazon completely fixed my problem.
This discussion has been closed.