VX5-591G and 4k @ 60 Hz display support

guest0891
guest0891 Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi,

I have a VX5-591G (NH.GM4EA.002) laptop and am wondering if it handles a 4k display at 60 Hz. I plan to use the display as the main one (I don't care about secondary displays). I'm asking here first b/c I don't want to order a 4k display just to send it back the next day.

According to Nvidia, the GPU (GTX 1050 Ti) should come with HDMI 2.0b and DisplayPort 1.4. Thus, the GPU definitely handles 4k content @ 60 Hz. However, I'm not sure if the HDMI port on this laptop goes directly to the GPU or not. This bloke even says that the laptop only has HDMI 1.4b, which is a dealbreaker for me (although Nvidia has circumvented the bandwidth limitation at the cost of color information). However, this is the only source I could find about the HDMI versions of this laptop and it's kinda unofficial in my eyes.

There's also USB 3.1 type C on the laptop, so in theory a 4k display can be hooked up to the laptop via a dongle.

Has anyone paired their VX5 laptop with a 4k display? How did it work out for you?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    video output is not supported via USB3.1 on your model.

about HDMI...HDMI 1.4b
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JohnCena
    JohnCena Member Posts: 460 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    It runs 4K@60Hz for me..
  • Patrick82
    Patrick82 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I asked me the same. After research the specs of the graphic cards you find out:
    Both grapic cards Intel HD 630 and Nvidia 1050 ti are compatible with 4K @ 60 Hz. But only on the DisplayPort not HDMI. And DisplayPort is not available at the quite empty sides.
    It's funny Monitors often provide both cables you only must plug the right one.

You think you choose a stronger PC for 1300€ to not get sick of waiting to the system after less years. But after 3 years you find out that 4K is only a datasheet value, you can only use for video streaming. And 4K-video streaming can be done by devices for 40€. 
    For office-work 30Hz are useless!

The support tells you 4K is only possible at 30 Hz. But the actual Nitro 5 supports 4K@60Hz.
    So I can only tell: After 2 Acer Notebooks, my next will be another brand.

Professionally bothed.
  • Anfara
    Anfara Member Posts: 4 New User
    IronFly said:
    video output is not supported via USB3.1 on your model.

about HDMI...HDMI 1.4b
    All USB or just the USB-C.

I ask you that because I try add second external screen via da USB-C -> HDMI adapter and I get no signal. First external monitor connected through the HDMI port in my VX5-591G.

My question is I get another HDMI port via normal USB 3.0 will work or not?

thanks in advance