My BIOS resolution is smaller than normal on my TravelMate 2490

Options
Default01
Default01 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
It appears on a ratio of 4:3, the rest of the screen being back. It also happens when booting into Windows. On Ubuntu the screen is fully functional.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    What control panel display settings have you tried so far to change the aspect ratio and resolution? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Default01
    Options
    hello, i didnt expect a response so early. i actually played a lot with the resolutions in CP but it didnt change anything. i ended even whit a resolution about 1900x1444 but all that happened was scrolling my desktop with a 4:3 ratio. i dont think it can be resolved via CP because i didnt find any setting about screen ratio. i tried so far every driver version from intel on different os and even flashed bios a few times but still nothing, i think it may be something about the vBIOS considering even the booting is done in a 4:3 ratio. i think i can post an image so you can see, nope my account is too fresh
  • JackE
    Options
    Are you trying to run Win10 on this machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Default01
    Options
    I tried that too and I kinda worked haha but no, I'm trying to use it for coding and learning, it's a bit old and I'm experimenting on it. It bothers me that I can't use the full screen. I tried now there different BIOS on it but no change. I really have no idea what to do next
  • Default01
    edited January 2018
    Options
    It worked, images upload, not the screen. Pardon the mess. It appears like this. And then it works on Ubuntu
  • JackE
    edited January 2018
    Options
    >>> It also happens when booting into Windows. >>>

So you're saying the Win7 shows up to one side like the BIOS menu, not full screen like XWin? If yes, have you tried uninstalling the Win7 display card driver and coldbooted back into Win7 and let it auto re-detect the card and re-install the driver it wants? Jack E/NJ PS: Have you experimented/played around with Win10 on this machine cuz reports suggest it can mess with the firmware.

Jack E/NJ

• Default01
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Not only Win7 but any windows I try. I I remember correctly it was first on XP when it happened before win10 but I installed win10 on it and it was slow so I changed it right after. Since then I tried XP, Vista, 8, and every driver version from Intel, even flashed the BIOS a few times, I read a thread about a similar problem and that it was solved after it. I searched older versions of the BIOS, v3.01 and v3.02 but still nothing after flashing them. I even contacted Intel support but all they said was to flash drivers. I also tried Ubuntu which I'm currently running and a live Kali both of them working full screen. One thing that I noticed was that the VGA BIOS version was unchanged whatever BIOS or driver I tried. 
  • JackE
    Options
    What is the BIOS version number now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Default01
    Options
    V3.60.    
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I[f] I remember correctly it was first on XP when it happened>>>

Do you recall if this happened before or after you first tried to update the original factory-installed BIOS firmware? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ