Cannot reset Acer Aspire ES 11

zanga
zanga Member Posts: 6 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, 

Tried to reset pc to factory setting. I try removing all files, reset goes to 62% then  "error resetting this pc" error comes up. Returning to exit and load Windows 10 gives a looping acer screen.
Have tried Start up repair and start up setting but get cant repair messages.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018
    The windows files were corrupted, which caused your PC to not reset properly. You can create windows installation media, but for this you need a working device. You need a USB flash drive. Select the version of windows that was on your device and create it in your USB drive. Plug the usb drive in your laptop, turn on the laptop and press f12 to select the drive you want to boot from(if f12 doesn't work you need to go to bios by pressing f2 and enable f12 menu). 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• zanga
    Thanks for your reply !

Can I use both if I don't know if it was a 32 or 64 bit version (haven't checked for that previously)?
  • ven98
    How much is your RAM?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• zanga
    2GB - so I guess 32 bit :)
  • ven98
    Yes, that is right.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• zanga
    Unfortunately I seem to be having issues booting in UEFI mode from the USB drive. (If I switch to legacy mode it will boot but I wanted to restore using the current settings)

- F12 only gives "Windows Boot Manager" as boot option so does not recognise flash drive.

- Have tried changing boot sequence in  BIOS - F2 but still does not recognize the flash drive.

- I prepared the drive both by using the Microsoft tool and Rufus.

- I also tried to disable secure boot on BIOS but no luck.

• zanga
    UPDATE
    I switched from UEFI to legacy, booted from the USB prepared with rufus, deleted all the partitions and installed  windows 10.

Now the problem is that sometimes Win is booting, sometimes is not, only gets to the acer logo.
    Also, the keyboard and trackpad are not working, I can only use a USB keyboard(even though in the device manager the keyboard and mouse appear as working normally).

I tried the internal battery reset but no luck - https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • ven98
    I would advice to enter in BIOS and try switching from Legacy to UEFI to find out if the issue will still persist.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• zanga
    On UEFI it's not booting at all, but after switching back to legacy it boots fine now. The trackpad works but the keyboard is still not working.