wireless adapter speeds slow

Options
sweijenberg
sweijenberg Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Question: how do I get my usual WiFi speed back?

My laptop: Acer Aspire V Nitro. Wireless adapter: qualcomm atheros qca61x4 
Since a couple of months internet on laptop seems slow through wifi. With ethernet cable speeds are normal (20Mbps). Wifi on my Ipad is normal (20Mbps). Currently laptop wireless at 7-8Mbps. All measured through speedtest.net.
Tried many things, including setting laptop next to router, changing channels and other router options. On the laptop side I set the wireless adapter energy saving to 'best performance'. No change.
Tried updating the qualcomm drivers, this gave me a solid 18Mbps for about 10 minutes (!?!) After that, back to 7-8Mbps.
Current drivers are version: 12.0.0.297

I have installed and sporadically use a VPN, but I am testing with and without the vpn active. VPN reduces speeds by about 15% but above mentioned solid 18Mbps also worked with VPN active. I was elated when the speed went up after the driver update, now I'm completely lost on why it went back down.  

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.

Answers

• sweijenberg
    sweijenberg Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    update: always after disabling my wireless adapter and re-enabling it, internet speed is up for about 10 minutes. After that, back down and stays down. Why?? :O
  • hulmerous
    hulmerous Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I seem to be having the same issue with the same adapter. Did you ever find a solution? My internet speed is 100mbps and I am getting 1/3 of speed only on this laptop at 30mbps. Interesting.
  • Fivesmaster
    Fivesmaster Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    same here.....