Aspire V11 Touch, Touch Pad Not Working

Andy1962
Andy1962 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Since upgrading to Windows 10 my touch pad has never worked properly, sometimes freezing and then disappearing altogether.
Now it is not working at all and in Device Manager the IC2 HID has an exclamation mark next to it and under the General tab is the message This device cannot start. (Code 10)
A request for the HID descriptor failed.
I have tried downloading new drivers from Acer support but still no joy.

Comments

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,436 Trailblazer
    edited January 2018
    Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name of your laptop, in the meantime, find out whether your Touchpad needs Synaptics or Elantech driver(from Details tab), download needed driver, go to BIOS settings, move to Main tab and switch to Basic mode for Touchpad, save settings and exit, install the downloaded driver, go back to BIOS settings and switch back to Advanced mode.

• Andy1962
    Model is V3-112P-C797

I tried the fix as you described but there is no change. I don't know if I am installing the driver correctly but I download the Synaptics driver from the Acer website, extract the files and then run SETUP from the extracted files.
    I believe it is a Synaptics driver as the values under Hardware IDs for the IC2 HID device are;
    ACPI\VEN_SYN&DEV_1B7D
    ACPI\SYN1B7D
    *SYN1B7D

• brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Did you uninstall the current driver before installing the new driver?
  • Andy1962
    Yes, I uninstalled the IC2 device and then followed the fix but the IC2 device appears in the Device Manager again with the same error,
    Oddly, the driver roll back option is usually greyed out but on one of the restarts it was active so I rolled back the driver and it rolled back to the Synaptics driver that is shown as the current driver on the Acer website however under the general tab for the device it stated "Driver Not Installed" On subsequent restarts the roll back option is greyed out again. I carried out a full restore but this did not fix the problem either.
    Using an external mouse works without problems.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Sorry, I have run out of ideas but please wait for someone else to chime in.
  • Gijsb
    Gijsb Member Posts: 4 New User
    try updating the bios?
  • accura2000
    accura2000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Go into the BIOS (F2) and turn Touchpad Advanced to Touchpad Basic.... Should be good after that!