Acer Aspire A515-51G-53JT keyboard problem

se7en2wo6ix
se7en2wo6ix Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I noticed a strange problem with my Aspire A515-51G-53JT laptop which I bought almost a month ago. 

Some keys randomly stop working and it's always the same keys. So far I've discovered that the periodically shutting off keys include 1 3 - q t p ] j 3(num) 5(num) righ arrow

I have never dropped the laptop or poured any liquids on it, I got it new and unopened. It worked flawlessly prior to this problem.

I tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and resetting the computer but the problem returned almost immediately. The keys stop working for a few seconds and then work again but it's very annoying. 

Did anyone else encounter this problem?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited January 2018
    You can try resetting the battery. Disconnect the laptop from AC, turn it off and follow the instrunctions.

If it doesn't help, then you can update the BIOS to the latest version. To check the current BIOS version installed on your device open RUN and type msinfo32. You will find it in system summary. Currently the most recent BIOS for your device is 1.12. If your BIOS isn't 1.12, you can download here(under BIOS/Firmware). The file is archived, so you have to extract it. Before executing the installation of the new BIOS, make sure the battery is charged fully and laptop connected to AC. During the installation the device may restart several times, don't attempt to turn it off.

If BIOS update doesn't help, then I suggest you to contact Acer or your retailer(if you are still within the return policy).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Zyxcba
    Zyxcba Member Posts: 5 New User

I noticed a strange problem with my Aspire A515-51G-53JT laptop which I bought almost a month ago. 

Some keys randomly stop working and it's always the same keys. So far I've discovered that the periodically shutting off keys include 1 3 - q t p ] j 3(num) 5(num) righ arrow

I have never dropped the laptop or poured any liquids on it, I got it new and unopened. It worked flawlessly prior to this problem.

I tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and resetting the computer but the problem returned almost immediately. The keys stop working for a few seconds and then work again but it's very annoying. 

I have the exact same problem with the exact same keys. Could you tell how did you get it fixed or does it come back even after keyboard replacement?
  • Srijit4Real
    Srijit4Real Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the exact same problem (with the exact same keys!!). Got the A515-51G-58GJ model back in January 2018, but started facing the same issues from last month. What convinced me that this was no driver issue was the problem persisted in both Ubuntu and Windows alike. I took the device to the authorized service center and they fixed they said there was a problem where the keyboard connects to the motherboard. Which they fixed. Sadly enough, the problem re-appeared a few days back, although much less frequent. I'm planning to ask for a full keyboard replacement this time.
    Thanks for bearing. Anyway, whats your status? Did u get it fixed or found a workaround? Please let me know.

• Alannglopez
    Alannglopez Member Posts: 24 Networker
    i have the same problem! and same keys!