Hi guys is bios 1.13 version good for your laptop ?

Options
4rVey
4rVey Member Posts: 11 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
This is the new bios recently I hope you guys answer my question thanks a lot.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    The new BIOS is to update the VBIOS of the GPU as it states. Unfortunately Acer doesn't 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Options
    The new BIOS updates the VBOS of the GPU as it states. Unfortunately, Acer doesn't give any info of what kind of bugs it fixes or does it improve performance. I think it might fix the Intel SA-00086 vulnerability, but I can't confirm that.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Skelomorph
    Options
    4rVey said:
    This is the new bios recently I hope you guys answer my question thanks a lot.
    I posted a thread about this yesterday but have not gotten any replies. I think my laptop runs better because of the update. I sometimes experienced stuttering in applications (the Intel Graphics Control Panel Context Menu was already removed) and I have experienced pure smoothness so far. Try it out and see.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • adamo000
    adamo000 Member Posts: 61 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I'm wondering.. What do you think about changing value in new bios version for ubnlocking advanced menu and pack again and flash to unlock these settings? It could work?
  • ven98
    Options
    I don't know. There are BIOS modding communities that may help you with this. Modding the BIOS voids warranty.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Whamy22
    Whamy22 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    this Vbios 1.13 update did not fix anything. the freezing is still exist if the intel desktop context menu is eneabled. Even the right click open new tab in browser didn't fix. still stuttered. Acer too slow to fix such problem
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    Whamy22 said:
    this Vbios 1.13 update did not fix anything. the freezing is still exist if the intel desktop context menu is eneabled. Even the right click open new tab in browser didn't fix. still stuttered. Acer too slow to fix such problem
    VBIOS has nothing to do with the Intel Context Menu lag, which is just a piece of the software that comes with the drivers (which is why you can disable it without touching the actual driver). I have no lag in my browser when opening tabs, but IDK what browser you use or what programs you have on your laptop.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Dariusdd
    Dariusdd Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I updated my G5-793 and did a before and after check.
    Performance benchmarks wise (just Geekbench) it's pretty much the same.
    Before: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6047339
    After: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/6047552
    The VBIOS (if I understood right, that should be the BIOS for the video card) version stayed the same. Checked with nvidiaInspector.
    And the all important SA00086 vulnerability fix was not included. It's still not passing the test. https://puu.sh/ySWfi/60e59835f0.png
    What I did forget to do was a screenshot of the output from the vulnerability test before the BIOS update, as the version of the Intel Management Engine should have changed, and that's shown in this test.