RAM problem Acer Aspire A515 51G

Options
velea18
velea18 Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello. I'll be straight. I have an Acer Aspire A515 51G, i5 8250u + mx150. I'm trying to install a 8gb ram module, but, the bios and windows don't recognize it. Cpu-z does. The ram is from Zeppelin, 8gb ddr4, 2133 mhz, cl15. Also, my curent bios setting is legacy, and i can't switch to uefi. I get a No bootable device image. Could be from bios? Please help me..

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    firstly of all you need to check the factory installed ram timing and voltage values.
    secondly, it's pretty strange that your laptop is set as Legacy from factory, must be UEFI, so my suggestion is to switch to EUFI and press Alt+F10 keys at boot to re-install windows 10 from scratch.

backup all your personal data first
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,631 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>my curent bios setting is legacy, and i can't switch to uefi.>>>

Does it still boot OK when you put the original DDR4 module back in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Riesling
    Riesling Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Isn't 'no bootable device' different from a problem with the ram stick? Does the laptop start up when you don't have the ran stick installed? Do you have a working os installed? Or it may be that the laptop is set to bout from a usb device by default and you have a non bootable media plugged in.
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi. Posted 3 photos. My curent bios, switching to uefi and then the bios in uefi. Don't know what to do... the laptop boots normally in legacy, but the ram is not detected...
  • IronFly
    Options
    had you tried to press Alt+F10 keys at boot after switching to UEFI?
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    And also.. after the windows logo, there's like a 1 minute black screen then i get the windows lock screen. 
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    When i created the bootable usb i think that i made it for legacy not uefi, and i i think that couse of this, the memory is not recognised. 
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    How exactly? Switch to uefi, restart and imediate alt+f10?
  • IronFly
    edited December 2017
    Options
    switch to UEFI, save and exit BIOS, then at reboot press Alt+F10

if it's not working, you need to re-install windows 10 under UEFI...hoping you are using windows 10.
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    For reinstalling i kinda have to wait...i dont currently have an usb stick, and all the stores are closed.. new year's eve.
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    Alt f10 no working. Nothing happens. The laptop shipped with linux, and i installed win 10 pro n. Did I void warranty?
  • IronFly
    Options
    velea18 said:
    Alt f10 no working. Nothing happens. The laptop shipped with linux, and i installed win 10 pro n. Did I void warranty?
    no, no problem with warranty.
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    And how i should proceed to install new os with uefi?
  • IronFly
    Options
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data *
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

• velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    In bios, should i boot from uefi?
  • IronFly
    Options
    yes!
    must be UEFI!
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    I will try it tomorrow. Have to get a usb stick. Should this solve the ram issue? 
  • IronFly
    Options
    ram issue is another thing, but first you need to have a bootable windows OS under UEFI, then we will check the ram.
    using CPU-z you will need to check if timings, frequency and voltages are the same on ram sticks.
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    But, in cpu z i can't see the soddered ram. 
  • velea18

Tinkerer

Options
    Only the 8 gb that i have inserted.