FPS Drops on Predator Helios 300 (G3-571)

Options
reaLEty
reaLEty Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hey, I recently just got this laptop for Christmas and I think there's something wrong?
On the first day the laptop was reaching around 80-90 degrees after gaming on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on low settings and reached around 130fps on high settings and around 150-220fps on low settings , I searched around and undervolted the laptop with Throttlestop watching this video, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1rs92CiYxU) After undervolting the temperatures on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on low settings I got 90-150fps but the temperatures never past 71 degrees, but on high settings I got around 90-120fps but rocketed to about 94 degrees?

Best Answer

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    Ok. Let me explain this....
    The fans pull the air from the bottom of the laptop, through the heat sink, out of the back. If you have the laptop on the bed, it is likely there is no little to no air flow, so all the heat is just sitting inside the laptop. These laptops have a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. They should never have the bottom covered. Ever.

Try playing the game with it elevated on something (such as on your lap with your legs crossed to allow the bottom-middle of the laptop to not be covered) and see what temperatures you get. If they go down a lot, then you just need to keep it elevated/buy a laptop cooler later.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss

Answers

• Skelomorph
    Options
    What surface are you using your laptop on? 94C is very close to being too hot. Have you tried elevating the laptop for better air flow? Are you turning fan speed via Predator Sense to max (or at least CoolBoost)?

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • reaLEty

Tinkerer

Options
    I usually have my laptop on the bed, and in Predator Sense I have CoolBoost on and the fan control to the max while gaming
  • Skelomorph
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    Ok. Let me explain this....
    The fans pull the air from the bottom of the laptop, through the heat sink, out of the back. If you have the laptop on the bed, it is likely there is no little to no air flow, so all the heat is just sitting inside the laptop. These laptops have a lot of power and generate a lot of heat. They should never have the bottom covered. Ever.

Try playing the game with it elevated on something (such as on your lap with your legs crossed to allow the bottom-middle of the laptop to not be covered) and see what temperatures you get. If they go down a lot, then you just need to keep it elevated/buy a laptop cooler later.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • reaLEty

Tinkerer

Options
    Alright thanks! Also what laptop cooler would you recommend? If I continue to have problems after it is elevated I’ll create a new post 
  • Skelomorph
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Well let me know if the temperatures went down. It should be instantly noticeable. My temps stay in the lower 80s when I game. You want them to stay around 85 and under, which I explain in the sticky thread Here if you want to look at more information.

Any cooling pad will do really. The fans inside the pad are really unimportant. The most important is having space under the laptop so it can pull in air. This is the cooling pad I have now but it really is up to you. Cooler Master is a good brand, and this one goes on sale sometimes ($17 right now, $12 with mail-in rebate).

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Ultra-Slim-R9-NBC-XSLI-GP/dp/B005C31HC0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514614375&sr=8-3&keywords=cooler+master+cooling+pad

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • reaLEty

Tinkerer

Options
    Alrighty, also should I keep the fan control on max when i'm not gaming or should I turn it on auto when browsing the internet and watching videos?
  • reaLEty

Tinkerer

Options
    Alright after playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive with the laptop on my laps, on low settings I was getting 109-240fps with a maximum of 71 degrees on CPU and GPU and on high settings I was getting 96-204fps with a maximum of 80 degrees on CPU and 75 degrees on GPU. These results are better and i'm guessing this is what you meant by on your secondly reply? Also I realised after undervolting on Counter-Strike: Global Offensive I got less FPS cause I used to get 170-240fps
  • Skelomorph
    edited December 2017
    Options
    As it looks, I would just keep your fan settings on CoolBoost and not worry about putting them on max when gaming. As you can see, your temperatures are a lot lower with proper air flow. 

Concerning FPS, as long as you are getting 60+, there is nothing to worry about. The screen in the G3-571 can only show a maximum of 60 FPS so you will not see any performance difference.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss