Heating Issues

Options
Metalkon
Metalkon Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
My Helios 300 has been extremely hot in recent weeks and i'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice, it's only a few months old and was not in too much use during the first month. During the first two months it was also quieter with the fans even in idle mode if i'm not mistaken.

1) When loading path of exile (may be a poe specific issue, idk) it brings my temps to the 90's even on the lowest setting. If I play another game with it (old game) even when both are lowest settings/resolution it gets scary hot where i'm worried about the spot above my keyboard potentially melting/warping. (hurts to touch, could proably cook an egg on it)
2) The Highlighted part in the picture below seems to be getting super hot very easily, it's temperature on physical touch is hotter than one would expect for a laptop overall even on idle. Right now as i'm typing this message it's running osrs runescape (very old and low spec game) and the temperature of this spot is fairly hot despite the cpu/gpu being in the 50's and the power options are on "power saver" for a game that can be run on 20 year old computers.
3) Is there anywhere I can check the computer temps for my laptop aside from cpu/gpu?

Answers

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Look at this post for some advice on cooling.
    http://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535036/frequent-questions-and-answers-information-guide-12-12-2017

1. I very much doubt you could cook an egg on the top of the keyboard. The CPU/GPU will turn off before it gets where it will melt anything. 

2. The top of the laptop (where the CPU and GPU heat sinks are located) will definitely get hot when being use. Mine gets the exact same way and not very much that can be done about it.

3. The only real worrying indicators are the CPU and GPU. Other areas of the laptop wont have any temperature that will be important.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss