Does the Acer A715-71G-57AY have an SSD upgrade slot?

frostbarrel09
frostbarrel09 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I recently bought an Acer A715-71g laptop, noting that is was the 57ay variant (i5-7300HQ, GTX 1050 2gb, 4GB ddr4 Ram and a 2TB HDD), I am convinced that it has a slot or perhaps 2 for a memory upgrade up to 32gb ddr4 but I was wondering if it has any SSD slot of any kind at all. No info had been mentioned on the specs or manual whatsoever. Please, if somebody knows the answer, I would definitely appreciate it. Planning to upgrade the pc disk space first if it has an ssd slot but if it doesn't have, sadly, i would stick investing to upgrade the ram.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You have an M.2 SSD port for M.2 SSD, which I think supports SATA 3 speeds. Download HWiNFO and under the 'bus' section you will find an available port. If it says PCI express bus x4, then it supports NVMe, but if it is PCI express x1, then it is SATA 3. You can upgrade the RAM up to 32GB(2x16GB) DDR4-2400.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    @frostbarrel09

Some people with your model seem to be using the Intel 600p M.2 NVMe SSD.  Not sure if it came pre-installed with that Intel SSD or if they added it themselves.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-A715-71G/59201

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167411

Edit: If you add a M.2 SSD, you're probably going to need an M.2 SSD screw to fasten it down.  You might be able to find that screw at a local computer shop much cheaper than link below.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8TK6F96625&cm_re=M.2_screw-_-9SIA8TK6F96625-_-Product
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • frostbarrel09

Tinkerer

@ven98 & @JordanB, Thank you so much for your swift and definite responses. Well i might try to go with M.2 ssd, I'll double check if it supports the nvme. 

The one I bought doesn't have a pre installed ssd, so i think the manufacturers opted for a 2gb Hdd to compensate the unavailability. Just one last question, where would i install the ssd module just in case? 

The back portion of the laptop has 2 obvious covers that could be unscrewed easily. I suspect the one is for the ram slots, whilst the other, not entirely sure. I think the latter houses the 2.5 inch Pre installed 2gb HDD. So to be precise, where would i put the ssd? And will i provide some sort of cable as well? Is it easily located on the hdd slot or would i dismantle the entire back cover to find the ssd slot location?
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    @frostbarrel09

You first have to disconnect from AC charger and then remove the RAM and the HDD.  And then remove all of the back cover screws.  And then gently pry off back cover as shown.

https://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/pdf/install-guides/ssd/crucial-m2-ssd-install-guide-en.pdf

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • frostbarrel09

Tinkerer

@ven98 I downloaded HWinfo as you instructed, i have a snapshot of the summary, may you confirm that indeed i have a slot to install an ssd module?
  • ven98
    Please expand Intel Skylake PCH-H PCI express root port 3 and 4.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• frostbarrel09

Tinkerer

@ven98 here you go.
  • ven98
    I guess when it is a SATA port, it is not shown in HWiNFO as a PCI-e port x1. The M.2 SSD port is SATA 3 and supports up to 512GB SSD storage.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system