Aspire E5-573G-59C3 Overheating Charger causes laptop force shutdown

Options
jhohn
jhohn Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
A few weeks ago while playing overwatch my laptop was force shut down midgame. This happened several times, and I figured it was because of the overheated charger somehow causing this. I bought a new (acer brand) laptop charger, but the same thing just happened... Do I need to invest in a surge protection charger, or is there something else to do to prevent this from happening. Thanks.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

You may try the power drain steps to see if they resolve the issue. Unplug AC power adapter. Locate the battery reset pinhole on the bottom of the computer. Insert a small paperclip in the battery reset pinhole. Hold the reset button for 5 seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Connect the AC adapter and power on the system

Also, check if you have the latest BIOS update installed on your computer.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Also download HWiNFO. I believe the problem can also be because of overheating. Use HWiNFO to record the CPU's and GPU's temperatures, while gaming. Post the average and max temperatures here.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• jhohn
    Options
    cpu: avg 86 max 89 intel core i5 5200
    gpu: avg 84 max 88 nvidia geforce 940m
    after 15 mins of play
  • jhohn
    Options
    cpu: avg 88 max 94
    gpu: avg 86 max 91 after 30 min
  • ven98
    Options
    The GPU's temperature is abnormally high, which I think could be the reason why the laptop is suddenly shutting off(to prevent damage by heat). Does HWiNFO detect any throttling? Can you please open 'run' and enter msinfo32. In system summary you will see your current BIOS version. Download and install the latest BIOS version, which is 1.37 from here. NOTEBefore executing the installation make sure the battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. The device may restart several times, don't turn it off. Also perfrom battery reset as suggested by sharanji. Report back the results.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options
    Even if the suggested solutions fix your issue, the GPU's and CPU's temperatures are still too high. The CPU's temperature can be reduced by undervolting it using throttlestop or XTU.

How to undervolt: Make sure you have a stress test like prime95 running at the background, while undervolting. Begin with reducing the CPU's voltage by 100mV and then keep reducing it by 5mV until the system crushes. Reboot and set the voltage to last value the system was stable on. A video showing how to use ThrottleStop.

Undervolting doesn't affect performance.

For even better results you can open the laptop and repaste the CPU and GPU, voids warranty. If you have warranty left it is better to contact Acer and request a repair of your device. If you feel comfortable with disassemblying the laptop and repasting the CPU and GPU and you have no warranty, you should definitely repaste, especially the GPU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• jhohn
    Options
    how do i detect throttling and what is that?

• ven98
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Throttling is your CPU or GPU slowing down(reducing/downclocking frequency) due to very high temperature in order to reduce the amount of heat generated and therefore saving the components from heat damage. HWiNFO shows throttling as red. For example 97C.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• jhohn
    Options
    I don't see anything in the program that is red, so I'll assume it's not doing that (yet)