Why does my Predator Helios 300 keeps suddenly switching off?

Kiantore
Kiantore Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2018 in Predator Laptops
First of all, I have already searched and tried some solutions I found. I have already tried resetting the battery (pushing the button beside the battery icon under the laptop for about 5 seconds and switching the laptop on after 4-5 minutes). I also tried checking the battery settings and they are set in default.

I got my laptop from Amazon last week December 19th. I purchased it from Amazon international.The first few days I used it (about 1 hour a day) it was working fine.
The first time it suddenly turned off was on Friday, December 22nd. It turned off while I was just viewing the desktop screen without any notice. I thought it was probably just an update, so I waited for it to restart but it did not. I had to turn it on manually. I do not remember if the laptop was plugged in or not. That day it only turned off once. The next day, December 23rd, it suddenly turned off while I was watching a video. I switched it on, and after about 15 minutes it turned off again. Both times, I did not have it plugged in. After I plugged it in, it did not turned off again. Today, December 24th, it turned off again a couple of times. The first time, it turned off while I was watching a video (computer not plugged in). The second time, it turned off while I was playing an online game (computer not plugged in), and I tried to switch it on a couple of times to get back to the game, but the moment the "PREDATOR" screen shows up, it just blacks out. I switched it on for the 5th time and it finally did, but suddenly switched off again after 5 minutes. I had to abandon the game to search and fix the problem. After searching for solutions (the ones I stated above), I tried them out. After resetting the battery and waiting for 5 minutes, I plugged the computer in and switched it on. After about 5 minutes, it switched off even though it was plugged in. It also switched off a couple more times while plugged in after that.

What I have noticed is it tends to switch off suddenly when the battery is about 60% and below, regardless whether it is plugged in or not.

I live in Japan so it is not easy to just send the laptop to Acer US. There is an Acer JP, but I do not know if they support and fix foreign bought laptops.
 Are there any other solutions? What should I do?

Best Answer

• Th3Pingu
    Th3Pingu Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓
    I had the same problem and I fixed it. Sorta. When you remove the RAM cover, there's this switch which kills the battery as it becomes unpressed. Tested this while keeping pressure on it and my laptop stopped dying randomly. I tighten the back cover twice a week roughly, probably cuz I made a mistake while opening it to repaste my CPU and GPU. Lemme know if this helps.

Answers

• Hi,
    Is the battery charging to full(100%) while you are connected to the mains? Anyway, go to Device manager(right click start Windows logo), expand Batteries, highlight and right click Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, select Properties and go to Driver tab, click uninstall and reboot to let Windows install the driver, let us know whether it helps.

• Kiantore
    Thanks for replying. I will let you know if it fixes the issue.
  • Kiantore
    Hi,
    I used the laptop as usual. Unfortunately, it still switches off suddenly.
    However, I noticed another thing as to what triggers it to switch off. It usually switches off whenever I move it to a different location. It either has something to do with the internals being shaken due to outside movement, or the sudden change of the surrounding temperature. I use the laptop with the room heater on, and whenever I move to a cooler room it just blacks out. It may be both too.

Any other suggestions? 
    Thanks in advance!
  • Hi,
    I would suggest you to get a replacement as it's a new laptop and it could be a manufacturing fault, amazon has a very good return policy, so you won't have any problem returning it and placing an order for another laptop.   
  • XiDa
    XiDa Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    I had the same problem, Acer wanted me to warranty repair it but I just sent it back to Amazon and got a new one, however, my new one now randomly crashes when connected to an external display
  • samsonchris71
    samsonchris71 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Kiantore said:
    First of all, I have already searched and tried some solutions I found. I have already tried resetting the battery (pushing the button beside the battery icon under the laptop for about 5 seconds and switching the laptop on after 4-5 minutes). I also tried checking the battery settings and they are set in default.

I got my laptop from Amazon last week December 19th. I purchased it from Amazon international.The first few days I used it (about 1 hour a day) it was working fine.
    The first time it suddenly turned off was on Friday, December 22nd. It turned off while I was just viewing the desktop screen without any notice. I thought it was probably just an update, so I waited for it to restart but it did not. I had to turn it on manually. I do not remember if the laptop was plugged in or not. That day it only turned off once. The next day, December 23rd, it suddenly turned off while I was watching a video. I switched it on, and after about 15 minutes it turned off again. Both times, I did not have it plugged in. After I plugged it in, it did not turned off again. Today, December 24th, it turned off again a couple of times. The first time, it turned off while I was watching a video (computer not plugged in). The second time, it turned off while I was playing an online game (computer not plugged in), and I tried to switch it on a couple of times to get back to the game, but the moment the "PREDATOR" screen shows up, it just blacks out. I switched it on for the 5th time and it finally did, but suddenly switched off again after 5 minutes. I had to abandon the game to search and fix the problem. After searching for solutions (the ones I stated above), I tried them out. After resetting the battery and waiting for 5 minutes, I plugged the computer in and switched it on. After about 5 minutes, it switched off even though it was plugged in. It also switched off a couple more times while plugged in after that.

What I have noticed is it tends to switch off suddenly when the battery is about 60% and below, regardless whether it is plugged in or not.

I live in Japan so it is not easy to just send the laptop to Acer US. There is an Acer JP, but I do not know if they support and fix foreign bought laptops.
     Are there any other solutions? What should I do?
    I too had the same issue. I tried resetting battery, but it didn't worked for me. But I updated my bios driver. Now it is running absolutely well. 
  • dhivakarg
    dhivakarg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, samsonchris17 I have the same problem. Could you please help me fix it. How did u update the bios?
    Thank you
  • Th3Pingu
    Th3Pingu Member Posts: 4 New User
    Answer ✓
    I had the same problem and I fixed it. Sorta. When you remove the RAM cover, there's this switch which kills the battery as it becomes unpressed. Tested this while keeping pressure on it and my laptop stopped dying randomly. I tighten the back cover twice a week roughly, probably cuz I made a mistake while opening it to repaste my CPU and GPU. Lemme know if this helps.
  • JohnnySR15
    JohnnySR15 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Could you help me? Im having this issues. 
    While im playing each 2-4 hours my Pc crashes, its really boring. I'd tried everything! 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    While im playing each 2-4 hours my Pc crashes, its really boring. I'd tried everything! 
    This looks more like an issue with your graphics chip. Did you try reinstalling its drivers? Does this happen only when gaming?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • JohnnySR15

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    This looks more like an issue with your graphics chip. Did you try reinstalling its drivers? Does this happen only when gaming?
    Yeah its happens only whem im playing games like PUBG or Fortnite, I have a 1060 GTX, not temperature issues (while playing 65 - 75 °C). I reinstalled Nvidia drivers to the last version but that didn't work for me. im tired of it, any idea of other solutions?

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Yeah its happens only whem im playing games like PUBG or Fortnite, I have a 1060 GTX, not temperature issues (while playing 65 - 75 °C). I reinstalled Nvidia drivers to the last version but that didn't work for me. im tired of it, any idea of other solutions?
    Could it be some graphic option in these games? Did you try turning on vsync n limiting frames to 60?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    If you have an Intel SSD (Some came with by default) you need to install the update found here.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27656/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox
    - Hotel Hero
  • JohnnySR15

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    If you have an Intel SSD (Some came with by default) you need to install the update found here.

Wow, yes i have an SSD, im going to try it. 
  • JohnnySR15

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    Could it be some graphic option in these games? Did you try turning on vsync n limiting frames to 60?
    I tried but that didnt work =/
  • Red-Sand
    JohnnySR15 said:o
    Red-Sand said:

I have a Helios group on facebook with 3100+ Helios owners.
    Every single one with the Intel SSD had the same issue as you described and that toolbox fixed it.
    Let me know how it goes!
    - Hotel Hero
  • JohnnySR15

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    JohnnySR15 said:o
    Red-Sand said:

I have a Helios group on facebook with 3100+ Helios owners.
    Every single one with the Intel SSD had the same issue as you described and that toolbox fixed it.
    Let me know how it goes!
    Oh , bad news, the App didn't work because my SSD is from Hynix, any other idea? :(
  • Red-Sand
    Bummer.
    Hmmmmm.

There is a little switch located near where the ram slots are that becomes unpressed on some systems. I guess the screws on the base of the laptop weren't applied tight?

If that switch is released it causes an issue similar to what's happening.

But honestly I'm thinking its something else since you leave it alone for a little then it powers on for a short time like it's just not getting its full charge properly.

Might be a good idea like others suggested to send it in for repair, might be more expedient too.
    - Hotel Hero
  • JohnnySR15

Tinkerer

Ok, i will. Thanks for your help! 
  • Red-Sand
    Ok, i will. Thanks for your help! 
    You're welcome :)
    - Hotel Hero