Acer Aspire ES 1-132 laptop, no bootable device and no windows boot option???

debbieh79
debbieh79 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited December 2017 in Aspire Laptops
it has ssd only, and the boot order looks to be correct. when i enabled the f12 boot menu to choose a bootable option, windows was not on there.  has it just disappeared?  it was working fine until yesterday when my daughter was using it to watch youtube under my supervision. she is only 7 though so could easily have pressed something to allow an install or update or something by accident, though she always tells me if something pops up for me to deal with.
i tried the usual f2, then f9 enter, f10 enter, and this did not help.  its like windows has just completely disappeared.  i havent tried to do a re-install using a usb stick as i dont have a 8gb one available and wondered if there was anything else that i can do before i go out and purchase one? also am i going to be allowed to download windows from another pc to a usb? will there be permission problems as i bought pre-installed so wouldnt know anything about permissions etc. also i only have a work laptop to do this on and i do not want to change anything or install anything on here that will cause issues as its pretty old and runs with msoffice10.
is there anything i can do??

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    So, if you turn it on, you have the "no bootable device" message?
    are you able to enter BIOS pressing F2?

can you please try a battery reset?
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • debbieh79
    yes i get the acer message for a split second then the no bootable device message. i can press f2 to access bios which i have done to try a factory reset but didnt work.  i will try the battery reset now. brb. 
  • debbieh79
    that didnt work. it still says no bootable device. anything else i can try?
  • IronFly
    Enter BIOS and check if the eMMC/SSD is listed on the main Information tab
    if not, probably is gone and you can't even re-install windows; if it's still under warranty, call Acer support service if it's out of warranty...probably is not even worth to fix it.

if it's listed, you can try to press Alt+F10 keys and check if windows recovery starts, if not...you can create a bootable widnows 10 USB media following these steps (no installations needed)

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
  • debbieh79
    yes the EMMC name and serial number are there, and when i checked the boot order, it is listed as no.1.
    do you honestly think it is fixable then with a bootable disc/usb? if so i will buy one tomorrow. just dont want to waste money close to xmas if not likely to work.
    i have millions of usb sticks in this house and they are all 2gb!!
  • debbieh79
    alt and f10 didnt work by the way. earlier i enabled the f12 boot menu and accessed it on start up, and windows wasnt even listed, nothing was listed. 
  • IronFly
    as boot order, the first one must be windows boot manager not the eMMC.

the only way to check if it's only a corrupted EFI partition on boot or an eMMC failure, is with a bootable USB media, created following my previous post steps.
  • debbieh79
    maybe that is the problem then, what is the windows one called? i have got network boot ipv4 at no. 5 and ipv6 at no.8. should either of these be 1?
  • IronFly
    nope
    1 windows boot manager

if it's missing, as i wrote, can be a EFI partitions missing (you will need to re-install windows) or an hardware issue on eMMC.
  • GraemeMoss
    GraemeMoss Member Posts: 1 New User
    This solved the issue for me. Seems specific to ES-1-132.  Apparently Acer or similar hard coded the location of the EFI files:
    http://www.slabbe.org/blogue/2018/05/installing-ubuntu-18.04-on-aspire-es-11-es1-132-c6lg/

• Haxi455
    Haxi455 Member Posts: 1 New User

Good, I had the same error of not bootable decive I followed all the steps of your thread thing that saved me the whole month intenado fix this error but when installing the Windows I jump error of compatibility of the hard disk if you know anything anything would help me a lot

Ps: the photo is translated from Spanish to English so the letters are seen

The first is the original and the second is the translated