G3-710 SSD installation scenarios

Zachack
Zachack Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
I have the "costco" G3-710 with a 256 gb ssd and a 1 TB hdd already installed.  I've ordered a Samsung EVO 500gb ssd and am looking for suggestions or precautions on installing it.  Looking around inside the case, here are the scenarios I've come up with:

1.  Mount the SSD underneath the HDD inside the case.  The "classic" method.  However, on looking inside the case, hoo-boy is that a tight fit to get a 4th SATA cable plugged in (3rd goes to the easy swap bay).  I've watched a video on youtube that basically disassembles the system, including removing the 1070, to get the cable in.  Maybe I could get the cable in with... tongs, or small hands, or something, but this seems really difficult.  At least a free power adapter is hanging there in easy access.

2.  Try to mount the SSD in the easy swap bay.  The bay is clearly made for 3.5" drives.  Looking inside the bay reveals the sata ports, which I assume will line up with the SSD, but I'm not certain if this would work.  I've bought a 3.5" SSD mounting tray so I might get lucky and everything will line up, but I'm guessing this probably won't work.  My theory is that I could open the bay, press the SSD into the ports, stick paper or something underneath if it turns out the drive is hanging in space, and close it back up.  Not sure what could happen here, or if there's a better way to do this.  Really wish Acer provided a 2.5" alternate swap tray or something.

3. Remove the HDD, internally mount the SSD, use the existing cables on the new SSD, and put the HDD in the easy swap bay.  This seems like a simple solution - no new cables, the HDD goes into the tray meant for HDDs.  Not sure what Windows10 or the bios will think about this, though (if anything?).  Not sure if I should be concerned about this approach.

Currently I'm leaning towards attempting #2 (since it doesn't involve moving existing parts - can't mess with my 4-year Costco warranty!), bur #3 probably won't violate the warranty (and that drive may be dying - a separate issue). 

Thoughts?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @Zachack

Do you need a longer SATA data cable?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-18inch-6Gbps-Cable-Locking/dp/B006VKFX1Y/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513373734&sr=1-9&keywords=sata+cable

Or a longer SATA power extension cable?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-12-Inch-Extension-Extender-SATAPOWEXT12/dp/B008ZB50SS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=TDEFMZPAJRKJS11TD94W

I don't have your computer model, so can't give you much advice from a hardware standpoint.

From a software standpoint, I would just suggest you create a USB factory recovery drive and keep in safe place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKn87nk0F4

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Zachack
    Zachack Member Posts: 2 New User
    JordanB, thanks for the comment.  I did not really need new cabling; the issue with the SATA ports is that the ports on the motherboard were sandwiched between the video card and the bottom of the case, in a space too small for my sausage fingers.  Even if I had wispy, delicate fingers like some sort of human-spider hybrid nightmare I think I would have concerns about damaging components while putting the cable in.  Or I would have had to remove the video card, which I wanted to avoid.

This is the model (or a similar one), for reference: https://www.costco.com/Acer-Predator-G3-Gaming-Tower---Intel-Core-i7---8GB-Graphics-.product.100342463.html

As for the outcome of my SSD options, I ultimately went with 2(b): buy a rack adapter. Specifically the following:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Desktop-Converter-Mounting-BK-PCBS/dp/B00UN550AC/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8A9QEEFZR3G0X3XAMNSW

That item allowed me to "convert" my 2.5" SSD into a 3.5" SSD, which the front easy-swap bay happily accepted.  Windows 10 had no issues with the drive.  

• meneedlowping
    meneedlowping Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Just wondering if you can follow up with how your ssd addition is holding up? Any issues so far? And what bios are you currently at on the g3 710?
  • meneedlowping
    meneedlowping Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Zachack said:
    I have the "costco" G3-710 with a 256 gb ssd and a 1 TB hdd already installed.  I've ordered a Samsung EVO 500gb ssd and am looking for suggestions or precautions on installing it.  Looking around inside the case, here are the scenarios I've come up with:

1.  Mount the SSD underneath the HDD inside the case.  The "classic" method.  However, on looking inside the case, hoo-boy is that a tight fit to get a 4th SATA cable plugged in (3rd goes to the easy swap bay).  I've watched a video on youtube that basically disassembles the system, including removing the 1070, to get the cable in.  Maybe I could get the cable in with... tongs, or small hands, or something, but this seems really difficult.  At least a free power adapter is hanging there in easy access.

2.  Try to mount the SSD in the easy swap bay.  The bay is clearly made for 3.5" drives.  Looking inside the bay reveals the sata ports, which I assume will line up with the SSD, but I'm not certain if this would work.  I've bought a 3.5" SSD mounting tray so I might get lucky and everything will line up, but I'm guessing this probably won't work.  My theory is that I could open the bay, press the SSD into the ports, stick paper or something underneath if it turns out the drive is hanging in space, and close it back up.  Not sure what could happen here, or if there's a better way to do this.  Really wish Acer provided a 2.5" alternate swap tray or something.

3. Remove the HDD, internally mount the SSD, use the existing cables on the new SSD, and put the HDD in the easy swap bay.  This seems like a simple solution - no new cables, the HDD goes into the tray meant for HDDs.  Not sure what Windows10 or the bios will think about this, though (if anything?).  Not sure if I should be concerned about this approach.

Currently I'm leaning towards attempting #2 (since it doesn't involve moving existing parts - can't mess with my 4-year Costco warranty!), bur #3 probably won't violate the warranty (and that drive may be dying - a separate issue). 

Thoughts?
    Hello again. Possible if you can link the exact model SSD that you installed? I am curious for compatibility issues just in case I go with a different ssd brand as I’ve seen a Samsung evo have “Evo laptop ssd” in its name. Not sure if the connectors are different . Anyone know?
  • korpirane
    korpirane Member Posts: 1 New User
    Ihave upgraded my g3-710 memory with samsung ssd 850 EVO 500gb, like this: open case,  take two screws off from back of easy-swap bay, which
    holds sata connectors, then simply connect ssd to connector, and thats it. then start pc and find new ssd from management and format that, and 
    now you new drive is ready to work. That hdd-ssd2,5" tray converter sounds really good if you still have warranty on and you have time and money to buy it, because you dont need open case and then maybe lose your warranty. 
  • AG2018
    AG2018 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Thanks a lot for the suggestion on rack adapter. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Desktop-Converter-Mounting-BK-PCBS/dp/B00UN550AC/ref=pd_sim_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8A9QEEFZR3G0X3XAMNSW

I ordered it and it works perfectly for me. thanks.