Helois 300 stutters and freezes!! (ShellEX) did not fix it!!

Options
nibbatorian
nibbatorian Member Posts: 27 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello,

i am getting micro stutters and stops from the laptop and when ever i run something as administrator the mouse freezes for few secs and again when i press no the prompt it again freezes. Sometimes it happened to me when i clicked battery icon sometimes in browser etc... I just received laptop yesterday from amazon and am thinking of a return but i found this online https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/intel-nvidia-laptop-freeze-problem/93e7004a-62b1-4211-8e37-4c136608865e?auth=1  now i dont know should i wait or return it because my return peroid is upto 31 january

This is the thread from a guy who posted it in Microsoft:

"Hi,

there is a problem with laptops which use mobile GTX 1050/1050Ti/1060/1070. When we perform right click, click on battery icon or try to open display settings, system hangs for a second.

This video describes the problem perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7K1SpCQgAY

We have tried updating every software possible, but no luck.

• Intel driver
  • NVIDIA driver
  • Chipset driver
  • BIOS
  • Firmware

The problem can be found on all laptop brands: ASUS, Acer, Clevo, Dell, Gigabyte, HP, Lenovo, MSI, Razer.

The problem can be solved by either disabling Intel GPU, which forces the system to always work with NVIDIA, or disabling NVIDIA GPU. Both of them is not an option though, as if you disable Intel, not only you will drain the battery faster, but also some games will stop working. If you disable NVIDIA, then what is the point of buying a laptop with a discrete GPU?

There is a also a workaround: configuring a software to always work with NVIDIA in the backgound. This keeps the NVIDIA GPU alive but also drains battery faster. And there is no poaint in that as it renders Optimus useless!

So, Microsoft has to come up with a fix.

Thank you.

Update 1:

Please Tweet this link to employees: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/4033498/brief-black-screen-at-uac-or-wake-up-on-computers-that-have-two-video

Update 2 - Provide Feedback

On a Windows 10 device, search for "Feedback Hub" in Cortana search, and then launch the app.

Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, and then press + Add new feedback.

Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and then choose an appropriate category and subcategory.

Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.

Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.

Click Continue using Feedback Hub.

Click My Feedback at the top, and then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).

Open the item you submitted, and then click Share.

Click Copy link, and then paste the link in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Update 3

Upvote this Reddit thread: A Windows 10 issue is causing bad stuttering on some laptops

Update 4

OK. Here is a solution to right click:

Go to regedit and remove those two entries:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxcui

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\igfxDTCMRestart and voila! You don't have a freeze on right click anymore.
Update 5
IT HAS BEEN NEARLY A YEAR THAT WE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND MICROSOFT DID NOT MAKE ANY OFFICIAL STATEMENT REGARDING A FIX. MSI SAYS MICROSOFT IS TO BLAME! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! IF YOUR ENGINEERS CAN'T FIX A SINGLE PROBLEM THEN LEAVE THE BUSINESS.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!CONSUMER REPORTS REMOVED SURFACE FROM RECOMMENDED DEVICES!NOW I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THEM!XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/10/technology/microsoft-surface-laptops-consumer-reports/index.html

Update 6 - Intel Confirmed the Bug

Intel has confirmed the bug and they are working on it. Here is their statement on the issue:

Hello Everyone,

The update I can provide at this point is that our debug team has been able to reproduce this issue, and they are currently investigating what is the root cause.

I would also like to apologize for the late reply. Our resources were focused on some critical issues (e.g. BSOD, crashes), and had to put this on a lower priority for a while. However, we acknowledge that this is extremely important as well, thus the priority of this bug report has been raised, so I'm hoping news come out faster from now on.

Thank you for your patience, and as soon as I have more information I'll share it here.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

Update 7 - Intel is Investigating the Issue

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know this was filed internally (bug# 1406598524) and we're investigating; it's been replicated and is currently being debugged.

I'll share more when it becomes available.

.:Bryce:."

Best Answer

• nibbatorian
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have found a fix but its not the effecient : https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3  download this and run it "TrayPwrD3" what it does it just makes your dedicated gpu always active which fixes the issue i tried it and it fixed the problem. but i still dont want this easy fix because i think this sacrifises the battery life which is in the first place not that great :/

Answers

• nibbatorian
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I have found a fix but its not the effecient : https://github.com/jobeid/TrayPwrD3  download this and run it "TrayPwrD3" what it does it just makes your dedicated gpu always active which fixes the issue i tried it and it fixed the problem. but i still dont want this easy fix because i think this sacrifises the battery life which is in the first place not that great :/
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    Did you guys try updating the Intel Graphics Drivers from Device Manager? Or reverting back to the driver on Acer forums?

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • nibbatorian
    Options
    Did you guys try updating the Intel Graphics Drivers from Device Manager? Or reverting back to the driver on Acer forums?

Skelo
    Yes and am getting about two hours on batter life on intel graphics is that normal?

• Skelomorph
    Options
    2 Hours is normal with default settings. Go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and change the power management settings to 'Adaptive'. You can also fine tune the Intel graphics settings to be more battery friendly while running on battery, and maximum performance when plugged in.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased the Helios 300 17.3'' and I noticed horrible stutter and lag when opening firefox, chrome, or going to control panel. Play games were fine. But I get lag when opening programs. Even the right click menu were stuttering and lagging. Of course, that could be solved disabling the contextual menu and using the TrayPwrD3. Meh....

BUT.... after reading other forums, others informed that it was an issue with Windows Fall Creator 1709!
    I managed to download Fall Creator 1703 and installed the nvidia and intel graphics driver from Acer website. There is no lag whatsoever. I'm using Fall Creator 1703 right now, and it's been smooth!

So until Intel and Microsoft get together to work on a fix for the Fall Creator update 1709 which per Intel community website, they are aware, then 1703 seems like the best option, or just use the TrayPwrD3.

You can check the version of Windows 10 you are using by going to Settings > System (display. notifications, power)> scroll down and look for  "About".
  • PanMadao
    PanMadao Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    I am also facing the same issue. Hopefully there will be a fix soon because it is quite annoying. Funnily enough, if I leave a game running in the background or something so that the nvidia GPU is not idling, the stuttering is not occurring. Is there an easy way to go to windows version 1703 from 1709?
  • Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I was able to find an ISO for 1703 from an authorized site referred by microsoft on the community forum). I'm not sure if forum allow positing it here? If I can, I can post it.

But no point in going to 1703 when it will automatically upgrade to 1709 due to Windows as a service. Mines just got upgraded to 1709 :( lol. I got the stuttering back.
  • nibbatorian
    Options
    PanMadao said:
    I am also facing the same issue. Hopefully there will be a fix soon because it is quite annoying. Funnily enough, if I leave a game running in the background or something so that the nvidia GPU is not idling, the stuttering is not occurring. Is there an easy way to go to windows version 1703 from 1709?
    Check my thread there is an easy fix you dont need to keep the game running just download and run "TrayPwrD3" (just google it first link from github thats it)
  • PanMadao
    PanMadao Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    PanMadao said:
    Check my thread there is an easy fix you dont need to keep the game running just download and run "TrayPwrD3" (just google it first link from github thats it)
    Thanks I will give that a go. Sounds better than keeping the nvidia control panel with the spinning logo active like I currently do.
  • LightYear
    LightYear Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    The TrayPwrD3 solved it. But yes, it reduces battery life.
  • LightYear
    LightYear Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Strangely a friend of mine who bought the exact same laptop as I did, is not facing any stuttering issues. He also updated all his drivers and Windows.
  • nibbatorian
    Options
    Microsoft really need to push an update
  • Ronn
    Ronn Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2018
    Options
    HEllo guys, for freezing problem I find 2 solutions:

first its for Fall Creators update and its  from this guy:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533421/en/CA/content/home  and you need to delete "igfx" folders from registry and its work but intel program its not complete. Now second solution its the best you need to find Windows 10 Pro Version 1703 version OS 15063.786 and everything Works  fine on this build you can update  drivers on last update and works, all freezing are gone now. My laptop its a Acer Predaror helios 300 PH317-51.I hope this answer will help you.

Sorry for my english