High temperatures with helios g3-571

Options
ArionDoneda
ArionDoneda Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello!
I`m having some high temperatures on CPU i think, even with undervolt and turbo boost disabled, my CPU stays arround 84 ºC, and GPU at 75 ºC, on BF 1 ultra settings. When I put back the stock voltage and enable turbo boost, the temperatures go crazy like 90 or even spikes to 100 ºC and begin throttling, on the same game for example. It idles at 45 ºC. I have a friend that has the same laptop, and it idles at 36ºC, so i think that mine is not good. I don`t think that this temperatures are normal, both of it. What can I do to solve this? I don`t know how to repaste it by myself, so that is not a real option, and I don`t want to lose my warranty. By the way, i used throttle stop to change settings on CPU.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    84C isn't a bad temperature for this CPU. Sure the thermal paste on your device is not applied well, but there is no need to repaste, unless you want to reduce your temperatures even further. The GPU's temperature is normal too. If you buy a cooling pad or use something to hold the laptop higher above the surface will make it run slightly cooler. You can contact Acer and request your device to be taken a look at, because of high temperature, but I doubt they will repaste it properly and it may even come back with even worse temperatures.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    84C isn't a bad temperature for this CPU. Sure the thermal paste on your device is not applied well, but there is no need to repaste, unless you want to reduce your temperatures even further. The GPU's temperature is normal too. If you buy a cooling pad or use something to hold the laptop higher above the surface will make it run slightly cooler. You can contact Acer and request your device to be taken a look at, because of high temperature, but I doubt they will repaste it properly and it may even come back with even worse temperatures.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

edited December 2017
    Options
    ven98 said:
    But I didn`t wanted to disable turbo boost, that is required, even if the thermal paste was apllied correctly? 
  • ven98
    Options
    Are these temperatures when the fan is set to max?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    Are these temperatures when the fan is set to max?
    No, in automatic and coolboost on

• ven98
    Options
    For best cooling you should turn on maximum fan speed, then your temperatures will be better. You don't really have any issue with cooling.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    For best cooling you should turn on maximum fan speed, then your temperatures will be better. You don't really have any issue with cooling.
    Good to hear. BTW what cooling pad you recommend?
  • ven98
    Options
    Here is a cooling pad recommended by other helios 300 user. I really like the aesthetics of this cooling pad, so I would recommend it too: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535027/laptop-coolpad#latest
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the help Van!

• akhileshrane
    akhileshrane Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    Hey, how do you turn turbo boost on or off?
  • ven98
    Options
    You can do it from either predator sense or Acer quick access application.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

edited December 2017
    Options
    Hey, how do you turn turbo boost on or off?

You disable turbo boost through throttle stop.
  • ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    I think you read "Cool boost" not turbo boost from the CPU.
  • ven98
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Ops, soory!!! :#:s
    You don't have to disable turbo boost. Disabling turbo boost will make your CPU work at base frequency and you don't want that.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    ven98 said:
    Ops, soory!!! :#:s
    You don't have to disable turbo boost. Disabling turbo boost will make your CPU work at base frequency and you don't want that.
    Np. Well, i mentioned before that I had to disable it, cause if not my temperatures go higher than 85, like 90`s.
  • ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    Actually it doesn`t stay at 90`s, it just spike to that temperatures like 88, 90, 91, 94, after that spike it return back to 84, 85 or 82.

• ven98
    Options
    @ArionDoneda. As you have throttlestop, I assume you have undervolted the CPU. Do you enable max fan speed, while the laptop is under heavy load? Even after enabling max fan, if the CPU temperature is around 90C, then that isn't a satisfying result and I suggest you to contact Acer or repaste the unit yourself(voids warranty). Disabling turbo boost is a good option to keep temperatures down, but that cuts the performance of your CPU, which isn't good.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Options
    Actually it doesn`t stay at 90`s, it just spike to that temperatures like 88, 90, 91, 94, after that spike it return back to 84, 85 or 82.

Ok, but what the average temperature is like? If it is in mid 80s, then it is fine.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:

Ok, but what the average temperature is like? If it is in mid 80s, then it is fine.
    Apparently it`s in mid 80s or less, but the spikes occur. That high temperature lowers the life span of the laptop?
  • ven98
    Options
    Higher temperature lowers the life time of the CPU compared to lower temperature, but even at 90C average temperature the CPU will run for at least 5 years. CPU and GPU are two of the toughest components in a system and it is 99.99% likely the laptop to die, due to other component damage(e.g capacitor).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ArionDoneda

Tinkerer

Options
    ven98 said:
    Higher temperature lowers the life time of the CPU compared to lower temperature, but even at 90C average temperature the CPU will run for at least 5 years. CPU and GPU are two of the toughest components in a system and it is 99.99% likely the laptop to die, due to other component damage(e.g capacitor).
    Ok then. Thanks very much for your attention van!!