Acer VX15 shutting down randomly

Fury09
Fury09 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Good day everyone,

The Acer VX15 shutdowns randomly when on battery, whats is the cause of this? This also happened whenever i am about to close the lid. 

Thank you.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Sounds like a hardware issue. You can perform a bettery reset. Follow the instruction shown here.
    If it doesn't help, I would try updating the BIOS to latest version. You can download the latest version from here. Before executing the installation make sure battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. The laptop may restart several times during the process, so don't attempt to turn it off.

If I nothing works, you should contact Acer support in your region and request a repair of your device.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    From power options you can try setting the power mode to 'balanced' and from nvidia control panel>3d settings set the power management to adaptive.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Fury09
    The power settings were same since the beginning. This issue started happening recently. Once i close the lid halfway it turns off. I put it to sleep, after 10 seconds it shutdown (so far this has happened on battery). Is something wrong with the hinge or the battery? 
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Sounds like a hardware issue. You can perform a bettery reset. Follow the instruction shown here.
    If it doesn't help, I would try updating the BIOS to latest version. You can download the latest version from here. Before executing the installation make sure battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger. The laptop may restart several times during the process, so don't attempt to turn it off.

If I nothing works, you should contact Acer support in your region and request a repair of your device.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• MightyMaxCro
    MightyMaxCro Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same problem here. I have an Acer Aspire VX 15, Core i7 7700HQ, 128GBSSD+1TBHDD, 1050Ti, 8GB RAM...
    The laptop just randomly shuts down when on battery power. My BIOS revision is V1.06, and the OS is Win 10 Pro. 
    The laptop is 3 months old, and i do not game on it very much, but i do use it a lot. 
  • Kuronite
    Kuronite Member Posts: 1 New User
    Had the same issue within three months of purchase. Since it was within the purchase warranty, I sent it back and they replaced the thermal module and it worked fine after that. 

But now three years later, I’m having the same issues again, though I’m not sure if it is thermal module again 
  • Fury09
    I had my battery replaced. Not facing the problem anymore.