Spin 5 Nitro sp515 model- Read up plenty on what I can on web and interested but have some questions

Trukntigger
Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
This new 2in1 with gen 8 intel cpu and nivida 1050 - there is some misinformation on web and even in these forums and I'm looking for accurate answers. Ram- I seen only 8gb versions and know it is soldered and no slot too upgrade, where are the 16gb versions sold at? Has an upgrade to the back light keyboard been done to allow always on state or is still the darn timer or off? Can the keyboard be replaced with a white led back light version from another 15' model? (I have macular degeneration and that red is not helping see the keys, lacks enough contrast). The M2 slot on the versions I've seen use a sata ssd, is NVME supported?  Several reviews mention throttle issues on the cpu under load due too heat build up which brings the system too it's knees, is this just a fluke or something that was corrected on full production runs? (ie: better application of thermal conductors). I was planning to buy this buy Christmas, Microcenter near me has the one with 256gb m2 and 1tb sata on sale but I really am doubting this purchase without knowing what I'm getting into. My other option is a Lenovo Yoga 720 2in1 with 512gb ssd m2, nvidia 1050 (only 2gb version) and 7th gen I7-7700hq with 4k display. The lack of a plain sata drive for my itunes media storage and 2gb on the gpu concerns me on this one and personally 4k display is overkill but they don't sell the 1050 graphics in a 1080fhd format. Review wise it did preform better due to better heat management but also cost more than the Acer. My other 2 lappy's are Acer and both have been okay. Granted I did tweak them hardware wise from stock retail build but solid dollar value- especially my E575G system (I5 7th gen, 16gb ram, gtx950 2gb ddr5, 1080fhd) got that thing running a m2 sata ssd, sata ssd and and 5400 rpm hd in dvd slot, ips panel display and hot wired a jumper on the pull up transistor to keep keyboard back light on. Been great but find I need a 2in1 now so how about some detailed answers please so I can go get this thing for myself for Christmas.