Problem with screen. Please help! [Predator Helios 300]

Fernan
Fernan Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hey guys. I got the laptop a few days ago, and I've had a good experience with it so far. It would have been a flawless experience if it were not for the screen :'(

The first time I turned on the laptop I saw some bad looking bright spots that are specially noticeable at the top of the screen. These spots are easily observable in every day use, mainly in dark colors and make the lighter colors to look pale.

I took a couple of pics in a room without lighting and with the laptop screen brightness set to 100%. You can find the pictures here:

s18(dot)postimg(dot)org/x9pt2bssp/bleed.jpg
s18(dot)postimg(dot)org/71eocy0zd/bleed_2.jpg

Please replace the word "(dot)" with an actual dot "."

I'm pretty sad with this and don't know what to do. So I would like to get some advices about what I can do to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,085 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    It's the backlight bleeding, it doesn't look too bad but you can send it to Acer Service centre in your region for screen replacement but there's no guarantee that the new screen will not have similar effect, on the other hand, you could buy a new screen and install it yourself, if you don't want to go without laptop for few weeks( don't know about the service in your region) and make sure that you get a proper screen.
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Sadly, it is quite normal for a IPS screens to have some screen bleeding. However, it seems yours is a little bit more excessive than a normal amount. I will warn you though, some screen bleeding is considered normal.

You got some options.

1. Contact Acer, and have them replace the screen.
    2. Contact the seller and return it for a replacement (refund if that is your wish).
    3. Keep it and deal with it.

I would get a new screen one way or another. The bleed you are seeing in the top-right corner is normal. The really bright spot on the top-left-middle is not. But as @brummyfan2 said, there is no guarantee the new screen wont have the same issue.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    It's the backlight bleeding, it doesn't look too bad but you can send it to Acer Service centre in your region for screen replacement but there's no guarantee that the new screen will not have similar effect, on the other hand, you could buy a new screen and install it yourself, if you don't want to go without laptop for few weeks( don't know about the service in your region) and make sure that you get a proper screen.
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Sadly, it is quite normal for a IPS screens to have some screen bleeding. However, it seems yours is a little bit more excessive than a normal amount. I will warn you though, some screen bleeding is considered normal.

You got some options.

2. Contact the seller and return it for a replacement (refund if that is your wish).

I would get a new screen one way or another. The bleed you are seeing in the top-right corner is normal. The really bright spot on the top-left-middle is not. But as @brummyfan2 said, there is no guarantee the new screen wont have the same issue.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • peoecp
    peoecp Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I'm amazed that the problems with IPS bleeding is handled like some sort of lottery for the customers. Screens with too much IPS bleeding should not leave the factory. My first Predator was bad, but my second is more or less as perfect a IPS can be.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Thousands of devices leave the factory every day. It is just impossible to check every single one of them for IPS bleeding.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• peoecp
    peoecp Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I don't know if it's possible or not for the factory to check for this obvious flaw, but now it's the customer that within seconds makes the quality control.
  • Fernan
    Hi,
    Thanks man. Unfortunately I've bought the laptop in Amazon.com, but I live in South America. So, in order to get some support, I will have to send the laptop to the States, and that's quite expensive. And as you said, there's not guarantee of getting a "good" screen.

Even if I'm able to get some customer here, they're going to ask for some good bucks...
  • Fernan said:
    Hi,
    Thanks man. Unfortunately I've bought the laptop in Amazon.com, but I live in South America. So, in order to get some support, I will have to send the laptop to the States, and that's quite expensive. And as you said, there's not guarantee of getting a "good" screen.

Even if I'm able to get some customer here, they're going to ask for some good bucks...
    Hi,
    I would suggest you to buy a screen locally and install it yourself, it's not too hard, watch few videos online and do it yourself.
  • Fernan

You got some options.

Skelo
    Thanks man.

As I've stated in the previous comment I just don't have the option to sent the laptop to the U.S for screen replacement. I could use the return option from Amazon, but I will be left without the laptop and will have to spend some more money, so that's not a good option neither.

I'm stuck with the option 3. Pretty sad :'(
  • Fernan
    peoecp said:
    I'm amazed that the problems with IPS bleeding is handled like some sort of lottery for the customers. Screens with too much IPS bleeding should not leave the factory. My first Predator was bad, but my second is more or less as perfect a IPS can be.
    That's exactly what I think. It is pretty crazy that one of the most important elements of a laptop can just arrive defective like that.

Glad that you could get a good one after all.
  • Fernan
    I would suggest you to buy a screen locally and install it yourself, it's not too hard, watch few videos online and do it yourself.
    Yeah, that's a reasonable option. I will see if I can get used to to this horrible screen. If I can't, then I will try getting a better screen within a couple of months.

Thanks man.
  • Fernan said:
    Yeah, that's a reasonable option. I will see if I can get used to to this horrible screen. If I can't, then I will try getting a better screen within a couple of months.

Thanks man.
    You are welcome, by the way, could you please post the make of your screen for future reference, Thanks.
  • Fernan
    You are welcome, by the way, could you please post the make of your screen for future reference, Thanks.
    Sure man, but first you will have to let me know how to do that  =)

I'm kinda of new to Windows 10 and laptops, so I don't know to find the screen model/brand (if that's what you're talking about).

I looked on the Device Manager and Display Settings but didn't find that info, so please let me know.
  • Fernan said:
    Sure man, but first you will have to let me know how to do that  =)

I'm kinda of new to Windows 10 and laptops, so I don't know to find the screen model/brand (if that's what you're talking about).

I looked on the Device Manager and Display Settings but didn't find that info, so please let me know.
    Hi,
    Go to Device manager, expand Monitors, highlight and right click Generic PnP monitor, click Properties and go to Details tab, select Hardware IDs with dropdown arrow, post the Value appears in the screen.

• Fernan
    edited December 2017
    Hi,
    Go to Device manager, expand Monitors, highlight and right click Generic PnP monitor, click Properties and go to Details tab, select Hardware IDs with dropdown arrow, post the Value appears in the screen.
    It is this one: MONITOR\CMN15D3

By the way I thought this laptop would come with a LG panel like stated below:

Not sure which one is better (or worse)...
  • brummyfan2
    edited December 2017
    Fernan said:
    Hi,
    It is this one: MONITOR\CMN15D3

By the way I thought this laptop would come with a LG panel like stated below:

Not sure which one is better (or worse)...
    Hi,
    Thanks for the information, it's a Chi Mei N156HCE-EAA screen you have in your laptop and I am not a fan of this panel, yes, LG panel may also have been used in these laptop models.