Acer Aspire R7. Bad Power Connection and now Blue light flashes 5 times

Options
PhilipR
PhilipR Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I've had this problem for some time. If I wiggle connector, I get the amber light and the laptop charges (as long as I don't move it much). Just this week, I cannot get it to connect to get the amber light to show its charging. I've checked male connector from the plug in power supply and see 9.33vdc on the jack. When I push the power button, it flashes blue 5 times, but no power up and amber light wont even flicker on.

Best Answer

• PhilipR
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @brummyfan2 Yay!!!  Ive got it. Thanks for your replies. I can see from your answers and comments that you help a lot of people. I do appreciate your help. Short version - i did continuity test and all looked good from power connector in to laptops internal connector. But - when I plugged in the power supply that had 19vdc verified at its laptop connection plug, I could get no voltage in the laptop. Then i realized that inside the laptops power supply plug that connects into the connector that you showed - are the same type of contacts to connect to the laptop power post. I simply pinched those a little so they made a better connection and was lucky enough to get it to work. It is charging now. I fired it up and all good. Make that all great! I am so relieved.  I will download all my files to a portable usb hard drive and hopefully i'm good. Thanks again for the help and I don't know how to post a picture of the plug showing the internal contacts in it, but if someone seeing this post could do that and show it here, i'm sure it would be useful to someone. Thanks again.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try pushing the metal contacts towards the centre but make sure it's only a slight push, do not apply too much pressure.

• PhilipR
    Options
    Thank you for the comment. I appreciate it. I actually saw this as a possible fix from a previous post about a bad connection (maybe yours) and I took a sewing needle and gently bent both sides out. It did make the connection tighter. Unfortunately, that didn't help. I do thank you though. I am especially curious about why the power blue light always flashes 5 times when I push the power button. Does anyone know if that is an indication of battery, bios, or some other problem.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Have you tried battery reset? If you haven't give it a shot.
  • PhilipR
    Options
    Thanks again. I tried that several times (small reset hole on bottom-nice feature that I had not known of) no success. I'm online now taking back off and removing battery, I had seen somewhere where they said to pull battery and try to power up, but I cant find that tutorial again yet.  I am of course stupid for not backing this up for the last 8 months or so. Really need to get this running somehow. Amber charging light wont come on at all. if I would pull the hard drive, is there a way to access it if I connect to another laptop? Just bought a HP so I can use at work, but I need stuff off my hard drive
  • PhilipR
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @brummyfan2 Yay!!!  Ive got it. Thanks for your replies. I can see from your answers and comments that you help a lot of people. I do appreciate your help. Short version - i did continuity test and all looked good from power connector in to laptops internal connector. But - when I plugged in the power supply that had 19vdc verified at its laptop connection plug, I could get no voltage in the laptop. Then i realized that inside the laptops power supply plug that connects into the connector that you showed - are the same type of contacts to connect to the laptop power post. I simply pinched those a little so they made a better connection and was lucky enough to get it to work. It is charging now. I fired it up and all good. Make that all great! I am so relieved.  I will download all my files to a portable usb hard drive and hopefully i'm good. Thanks again for the help and I don't know how to post a picture of the plug showing the internal contacts in it, but if someone seeing this post could do that and show it here, i'm sure it would be useful to someone. Thanks again.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    You are most welcome :)  and glad you got it sorted.