Intel PTTEK Recertification Service... high CPU

Ashani
Ashani Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
The Intel PTTEK Recertification Service is using nearly 40% CPU all of the time on my Acer Aspire E5-575G.  It's really lagging my system.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Answers

• Victoria_Loki
    Victoria_Loki Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    This solution is from the Intel site---
    -In Programs and Features, uninstall Intel Trusted Execution Engine.
    -Downloaded the latest Intel® TXE driver downloaded from: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26435/.Unzip
    -Navigate through the folder to the \Installers\TXEI\Win10\ folder.
    -Right-click on txei.inf and choose Install.
    -Restart the computer.
    -Now check Task Manager. Intel PTT EK Recertification Service should no longer appear.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lennart
    lennart Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2018
    @JackE
    I can't find those instructions at Intel. Could you please link to them?

I am having the same trouble. AFAIK it started a few days ago, probably with the Windows 10 update. (I have seen a few reboots too. Swift SF113-31, BIOS V1.13)

• Ashani
    Ashani Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Thank you.  I got around it by disabling it in bios, but this looks to be a better solution.  Only took nearly a year to get an answer.  lol
  • lennart

Tinkerer

Thanks @JackE. However it feels quite a bit scary to try this. It is really a central driver. Windows Update should do this now. The latest version of the driver is from 26 Oct. 

Do we know anything about "Intel Driver & Support Assistant"? That could perhaps download this driver in a safe way? Does it play well with Windows Update?
  • JackE
    lennart>>>Does it play well with Windows Update? >>>

Well, I think it tries to. But if you asked me if update tries to play well with it, I think not so much. :) It's nearly a half-full half-empty crapshoot. And it's only a software driver issue. So it's nowhere near as scarey as BIOS firmware update which can brick a machine.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lennart

Tinkerer

Ha, ha! @JackE, I went for the Intel assistant. Interestingly it decided to update two networking and I/O drivers, but not the TXEI-driver. This could be because the TXEI-driver was updated just a few days ago. Or some strange handling of updates at Intel. I will wait and see.
  • lennart

Tinkerer

@JackE
    My PC still crashes. The Event Viewer tells me it is Kernel-Power (Event id 41), but I guess it is overheating since nearly 100% CPU is used all the time. The external keyboard just stopped working and I wonder if this problem has destroyed my PC. As a last resort I will try to install the new TXEI-driver.
  • JackE
    >>>I guess it is overheating since nearly 100% CPU is used all the time. >>>

If it's truly showing 100% all the time, then yes overheating is likely cause. There can be other reasons for a Kernel-Power notification that we haven't explored yet. If truly overheating, then an auto shutdown is designed to avoid destruction. First, if you haven't done so already, try uninstalling, not just disabling, any non-Microsoft anti-malware programs like AVG, McAfee or Norton. If still no joy, then probably the only way to rule in or rule out a hardware issue is to backup your system and do a full factory fresh re-set using the ALT+F10 cold boot recovery method. Then make sure system protection is enabled and see if it still remains at 100% usage. Jack E/NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzLJRAZldA

Jack E/NJ

• lennart

Tinkerer

@JackE After updating the TXE-driver (and stopping the network hogs, like Google Drive etc) my PC still crashes very often - without any dump. I don't think there is any reason to do a factory reset now. My conclusion is that this is very probably a hardware problem.
  • JackE
    The other kernel-power notification possibility is inadvertant activation of a mainboard safety interrupt or battery reset button due to cover misalignment. If it crashes consistently when using the machine or otherwise physically disturbing it such as using the keyboard or touchpad, then to test this possibility just leave it running without using or otherwise physically disturbing it. If it doesn't crash while not being used, then it's likely the safety or reset switch is being inadvertently activated when it's being used. The fixes are rather simple for this situation but does requirement some disassembly. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• lennart

Tinkerer

@JackE Thanks, a possibility I have not even been thinking about. But my PC crashes while not using it. And I am using external screen, mouse and keyboard.

Looking at the update history and the time the problem started I see this:

2018-11-16 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)
    2018-11-19 First crash with the error I mentioned above (there are over 30 of them now)

This fits well with my guesses. Something in this update made the driver loop. A few days after there was a critical hardware damage (because of heating).
  • JackE
    edited November 2018
    1803 was released Oct 2. Like other major Win10 updates, it has been causing havoc in some machines. You may likely be one of the lucky ones. If system protection was enabled, you may have a Win10 restore point in Control Panel on or about Nov 11 that you can try to go back to. Just search restore point in Control Panel and click on create restore point in the left panel. Follow directions to see if the restore point exists. Try it if it does exist. Jack E/NJ

PS: Are you sure it was "critical hardware damage" or a notification of a "critical shutdown in order to protect hardware from damage"?

Jack E/NJ