Is it safe to overclock GPU and increasing the fan speed using Predator Sense software. Any Damage?

Shriharinc
Shriharinc Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Answers

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    Those temperatures are way to high for overclocking. You need to contact Acer Support and have them fix it.

97C is the CPU throttling temperature.
    100-105C are the CPU shut off temperatures.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    @Shriharinc your CPU is at 93% load and GPU 99% load. Are you running a stress test at the background? The fan curve that Acer has set isn't good at all, because even at full load the fans don't reach max RPM. When the game is very demanding or you are stress testing, set the fan profile to max for best temperatures. After you do that send a screenshot again of your temperatures.

The GPU temperature is fine and the turbo profile overclocks the GPU only. If the CPU temperature stays around 90C even after setting the fan speed to max, I suggest you to undervolt it using XTU or Throttlestop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• @ven98
    Even if the fan curve is not all that great, at 97C shouldn't the fan be spinning faster than only 2600 RPM with Coolboost on? And if it is at 93%, the CPU is likely to be throttling, how much we don't know.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It should be spinning faster. The fan speed curve is set according to load, not temperature, so under max load it should be spinning faster than 2600rpm. I personally always use max fan speed profile, when playing intensive games just for that reason.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• GamingCinemaInc
    GamingCinemaInc Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
    Those temperatures are way to high for overclocking. You need to contact Acer Support and have them fix it.

97C is the CPU throttling temperature.
    100-105C are the CPU shut off temperatures.

Skelo
    i used to get similar temperatures and i found a fix, at least for me my Helios 300 came with Intel boost which is set when your CPU is at 100% usage so what i did to fix this i went to my power plan, then power options then processor power management and change the cpu % to 99% on plugged in and on battery, after i did that i started getting temps like 70 max, and i used to thermal throttle all the time