Please wait while we install a system update

Danbehr
Danbehr Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Like others, my screen has been locked on this for 12 hours now. I read some suggestions about installing a BIOS update. However I can’t even force shutdown the computer. Holding the power button does nothing.

Can anybody help???

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can try resetting the battery. Follow the instrunctiin here: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset

Most likely the BIOS update failed and after you reset the battery, you probably won't be able to use the device. I would suggest you to contact Acer in your region and request a repair of the device.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Danbehr
    Thanks. You’re right, the computer doesn’t work at all now. Just a black screen when I turn the power on. Ugh!!!
  • Harvey-Acer_Retired
    Harvey-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 330 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
  • Danbehr
    Yeah I saw that string already. That doesn’t help with the issues described above though.
  • TinaChaney
    TinaChaney Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I do not know of a solution. I am searching for one. 2 computers with the same problem. Reset battery and it went black. 4 months out of warranty. Microsoft tech helped for 2 hours on the phone then had me drive 1.5 hours away, dropped them off, waited a week, picked them pack up, they said they would send it to the depot but it would be a month before I would know if it was fixable and how much it would cost. I said no. Took my paperweights to a local tech and he has advised, motherboard is good, watch battery was replaced, mother board was showing transmission errors because it is stuck in the middle of a bios update, hard drive was wiped with a magnet, no viruses. I am now contacting the Attorney General, BBB and an attorney for a possible class action.