Acer Aspire R3, black screen of death -- how do I find correct BIOS recovery name?

gogolink
gogolink Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi everyone, I've got this "black screen" problem on an Acer Aspire R3-131 (SNID: 54205082266), meaning that if I power the machine on, the screen either remains black, or, very occasionally, turns on (and shows that the computer is booting) but turns off after a few minutes or even seconds.  It's not the screen itself, since the same thing happens on an external monitor.  The only possible solution I can think of at this point is to flash the BIOS; but if I understand it correctly (using this as guidance: http://lowendguru.com/2010/02/how-to-fix-the-acer-aspire-one-black-screen/), that would be an .fd file, and all I can find on Acer's support site (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6074?b=1&pn=NX.G0YAA.012) are .exe files that, I think, I could run to update the BIOS -- provided that I first get into the operating system.  Which I don't.

I did find out, though, that I can extract the .exe file; and did find in there a file called CHO117.fd.  It's locked, though.  And I don't find a file called flashit.exe, which the instructions from the website above ("Lowendguru") also mention.

I tried to flash the BIOS with just the .fd file mentioned above on a flash drive, using instructions SkittleBeast posted here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533825/windows-update-stuck-on-please-wait-while-we-install-a-system-update-message#latest

But that didn't do the trick.
Bottom line is: I don't know whether I have the correct file; and if I do, whether I need to rename it -- and to what name.

Can anyone point me to the correct BIOS driver I need, or tell me what else I'm doing wrong, or could try?  Much appreciated!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Was it factory-installed Win8.1 or Win10? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• gogolink
    JackE said:

Was it factory-installed Win8.1 or Win10?

Came with Windows 10.
  • JackE
    OK. Use the CH0117.fd or the CHO117.fd filename if that's the one you extracted from one of the firmware versions on the ACER download site for the R3-131T. It should be the only file in the root of a FAT32 formatted stick with GPT partitioning. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gogolink
    Hm.  That's what I tried already.  But I'll give it another shot tomorrow, with another USB drive, and will report back.
    In the meantime, thank you for your quick responses!  Much appreciated!
  • JackE
    The stick should first be tried as a GPT v MBR partitioned FAT32.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gogolink
    Still no luch.  I did the following:
    - copied file CHO117.fd (which I had extracted from UOBIO117.exe in BIOS_Acer_1.17_Windows) to a new SanDisk USB drive (Fat 32 partitioned)
    - plugged USB drive into Acer, then held down fn and Esc, plugged in power adapter, turned on power button, released fn and ESc

What happened was that the power state LED went on, and the USB drive signaled something by a slow, regular on-and-off heartbeat of its LED.  But nothing else.  Screen stayed black.  I left the USB in for several minutes, then turned the computer back off.

Any more ideas?

• JackE

Now try an MBR-partitioned-FAT32 stick if you haven't done so already. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gogolink
    How do I do that?  (I'm on Linux with my other computer, using gparted; but I have access to Windows as well.)
  • JackE

Easy. You can use Rufus. https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• gogolink
    OK, tried that.  Rufus apparently put a couple of things on the drive, one called "autorun," another was a folder named "locale."  I added the file CHO117.fd to that, and tried the USB in the Acer ... but with no result.  (Power LED on, USB on, but screen remained black.

I think it's time to call it quits for me and dispose of the Acer.  :/   It's a pity, I only had it for a year and a half.

But thanks for your advise, Jack E!

• JackE
    Hold on. Don't toss it just yet. As you can tell from the other threads, auto Win10Update has been creating havoc with some BIOSes. I'm not sure yet why your BIOS is not responding. For now, I suggest that you remove all extraneous rufus files and directories except the fd file from the FAT32 formatted stick and try it again. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega
    MarkGega Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    I’m having the same issue. After upgrading ram to 8gb ddr3 (instead of ddr3l)and hdd to ssd I’m getting the black screenof death and blue light lights up 15 sec and off for 5 sec. any one had any luck with these issues. Could The fact that I  used a ddr3 instead of ddr3l have played a role?
    thanks in advance
  • JackE
    @MarkGega   Try taking the new RAM out and putting the old RAM back in to see what happens. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega

Tinkerer

Thanks fo your reply. I tried putting back in the original ram and hdd with no difference. I’ve tried everything. The only thing left to try is bios update. Will have to try that once I have access to a different laptop. It’s all very strange. These machines are a pain. 
  • JackE
    @MarkGega With the original RAM and HDD installed, do you get an ACER boot logo screen? Can you see any hint of LED backlighting in a darkened room? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega

Tinkerer

First I upgraded ram. Everything was dandy and thought to myself should upgrade to a ssd too. When I removed the hdd I unplugged the white ribbon cable across the hdd on both sides. Thats when my problems started. Maybe it was a coincidence. I’ve seen in some videos they remove the whole part attached to the ribbon cable. It’s driving me nuts. Thanks for your time 
  • MarkGega

Tinkerer

First I upgraded ram. Everything was dandy and thought to myself should upgrade to a ssd too. When I removed the hdd I unplugged the white ribbon cable across the hdd on both sides. Thats when my problems started. Maybe it was a coincidence. I’ve seen in some videos they remove the whole part attached to the ribbon cable. It’s driving me nuts. Thanks for taking your time to reply.
  • MarkGega

Tinkerer

I noticed that it seem like its in a boot loop but with no visual signs. I can hear the hdd start whining and then stopping in about ten seconds or so.
  • JackE
    In addition to the HDD cable, are the two button board cables secure? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MarkGega

Tinkerer

Thats the one. I’ve reseated them a few times and locked in place just to make sure. I was very careful not to break the ribbon cable or the mechanism that locks them in place cos I know how fragile they can be. You are the only reason why I’ve not smashed it to bits yet.