Predator Helios 300 - Performance boost when plugged?

Options
ItsBenXII
ItsBenXII Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Okay, I've got a lot of questions. First, why is there such a significant performance boost when I'm charging the laptop? You're probably asking, "ain't that a good thing?" and yes it is but, when it's unplugged certain games are almost too choppy to be playable. I tested this out on Minecraft (since it's the fastest game to download). When it's charging, it reaches over 300 fps but when it's not, it's locked to 20-30 fps (I also tested out CS:GO, same results). Does that mean I have to always keep my laptop plugged in when I'm gaming? Or does the laptop activates another power mode when it's charging? And lastly, is it possible to achieve the same results without it plugged in all the time?

Is it the same for you guys as well?
This is my first laptop and I was just wondering if this is normal or not.
Thank you in advance! =)

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    It is the same for everyone. And actually you don't get performance boost when the laptop is charging, more accurately to say you get performance loss when the laptop is off the charger. To put it simply it is a feature to reduce harm to battery while the laptop isn't charging.

There is no way to make the laptop work at max performance when not charging.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    It is the same for everyone. And actually you don't get performance boost when the laptop is charging, more accurately to say you get performance loss when the laptop is off the charger. To put it simply it is a feature to reduce harm to battery while the laptop isn't charging.

There is no way to make the laptop work at max performance when not charging.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The 30 FPS cap is set in NVIDIA GeForce Experience and can be changed to 45 or 60. However, it is capped to give greater battery life and anything over 60 FPS is wasted power because most screens can't show over 60 anyways (dependent on your model. majority are 60). So 300 FPS literally means nothing in terms of actual game performance, it just means your CPU and GPU are eating extra power and generating extra heat. 60 FPS is what you want, the screen does not show higher.

Got any more questions just let us know.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss