UEFI

Options
RayT
RayT Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I have just purchased an A315-21G with windows 10 installed (no restore disks or DVD drive, bought a USB DVD Drive), made a system image and repair disk, and loaded UBUNTU  as the only operating system.
I now need to restore Windows from the image, but am not given any option under UEFI for anything other than the installed hard disk. If i select legacy then it lists the CD and pen drives for selection, but to restore an image it requires UEFI not legacy!
Have tried contacting ACER in the UK but they say I should speak to ACER in Spain (I am in Portugal by the way) and I only speak English!
Do I need to return this to the shop, or has anyone had the same problem and recovered?

Many thanks

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi,
    Try disabling secure boot in BIOS, you need to create a Supervisor Password in BIOS to disable Secure boot. Go to BIOS settings, in Security tab you can create a Supervisor PW, then disable Secure boot, make sure you write down the PW and once finished clear the PW.

• RayT
    RayT Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Tried that, just get   Boot Mode:                [UEFI]
                                    SECURE BOOT:      [Disabled]
                                    Boot priority order:      
    All Blank

Thanks

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited December 2017
    Options
    probably there the  system image doesn't have the correct EFI partition to be a bootable one (or is missing the recovery part), so try to create a bootable windows 10 installation media and check if you are able to load the system image from it or go for a clean windows 10 installation

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then unplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    I would suggest you to take it to the shop and get it fixed.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    Options
    RayT,

This how I restore a system image.  By the way, you were supposed to create a USB factory default recovery media like in the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKn87nk0F4  as per the user manual.  Oh well, you're not the first person to forget.  No worries, but it's too late for that now.  :)

Backup all your important personal files as the following steps will completely wipe your HDD

Step1: Go in to your BIOS settings and load the defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10)
    Step2: Go back in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu
    Step3: Boot your USB repair disk (tap F12 at the Acer post logo)
    Step4: click troubleshoot>>advanced>>command prompt
    Step5: click the command prompt to open command prompt
    Step6: At the command prompt, type

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x     (x=your main hard drive---probably disk 0---be careful---don't select the wrong disk)
    clean
    convert GPT
    exit
    exit

Step7: Plug in your USB drive that contains your system image.
    Step8:  Navigate in the repair disk menu and Click on "Restore a system image"
    Step9:  Warning, you must be extremely careful to exclude any disks that you don't want wiped.
    Step10:  Restore your system image.
    Step11:  That's it.  You're done.

If you need your original Acer OEM recovery media to restore your PC to factory condition you can purchase from Acer.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

If you need to know how to install Ubuntu properly in EFI mode, check the Linux section of this forum.

I'm not an Acer employee.