Acer V15 Nitro Black Edition CPU Reaches 98C When Running Cinebench!!

utterbutter
utterbutter Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I have sent this laptop for service once and they replaced the fan, but just running a simple cinebench benchmark the CPU temps reach 98C. I have already undervolted the CPU by 0.135V and still no change in temperature! Do any owners of the same laptop model face the same issue?? I have no idea how to reapply thermal paste. Will the acer service centre do that for me? And why does undervolting have no effect on the temperature? 
PS: I am using throttlestop to undervolt and hwinfo to monitor temps

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017
    It won't have an effect, because without undervolting for example the CPU reaches 98C, but throttles down to 2000MHz. By undervolting you reduce the amount of heat generated. The CPU reaches 98C again, because instead of throttling down to 2000MHz, it will throttle down to 2800Mhz. Or in other words, before undervolting for example at 1300mV CPU's freqency is 3400MHz, but because of throttling the voltage goes down to 1000mV and frequency 2000MHz. After undervolting the CPU's max voltage now is 1165mV again at max frequency of 3400MHz. Again the temperature is too high and the CPU has to throttle down the voltage to 1000mV, but this time instead of running at 2000MHz, it will run at 2800MHz, as undervolting allows more frequency per mV.

Note: The example I have given explains why the temperature is still 98C, but the values given don't apply to real situation

For some reason the technicians working at Acer's reapir centre don't know how to apply thermal paste and I have had a situation, where they changed the motherboard to fix the throttling, but unfortunately the temperatures got even worse after that. Changing thermal paste isn't hard, but voids warranty. You just have to disassemble the laptop, remove the heatsink, remove the old thermal paste, apply a tiny amount of new thermal paste and fit the heatsink back.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• utterbutter
    Wow so the thermal system for this laptop is grossly inadequate. I'm just worried if the CPU hitting 98C when under load will damage it in the long run?
  • ven98
    It is likely to reduce the lifespan of the CPU, but not by much as the actual thermal limit of the CPU is much higher than that(about 110C). Still I wouldn't feel comfortable to have the CPU run at such high temperature, so you definitely have to repaste it.

By the way how is the temperature during gaming?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• utterbutter
    Really really bad. 95-98C same as cinebench
  • ven98
    It definitely needs repasting either done by you or Acer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ic3b34r
    ic3b34r Member Posts: 24 Networker
    For benchmark... I think 98c that was normal... if you try 3d mark... you will get more