Windows 10 license expire issue

iixamy
iixamy Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
Last year, I bought an Acer laptop and it was fine until this year where it repeatedly states that windows license is expiring soon. When I bought the laptop, it comes with a windows 10 and I had an IT person help me set it up. I didn't do anything with the laptop except sent it for repair once when I had a virus issue but after that nothing happens until this issue. I tried resetting my laptop but it still returns, So I'm not sure what should I do?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    Had you re-install using the Microsoft downloadable version and wiping the previous windows installation?

1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    laptop model and windows OS version?
  • iixamy

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    Aspire E 14
    Windows OS is 1709
    edition is windows 10 pro 
  • IronFly
    normally Acer laptop has Home edition not Pro, probably that's why the license is expiring.
    check the product key of windows:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip

download, unzip and run it, check if you have 2 windows 10 product key entries
  • iixamy

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    normally Acer laptop has Home edition not Pro, probably that's why the license is expiring.
    check the product key of windows:

download, unzip and run it, check if you have 2 windows 10 product key entries
    I didn't know that! Anyway, I checked and saw 2 windows related name. 
    Windows 10 pro
    windows (BIOS OEM key) 

(sorry I have to delete your link because I'm still a new member)
  • IronFly
    ok...so you need to re-install windows 10 and let the installer read the correct product key from BIOS OEM or try this trick but i'm not sure it will work:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/downgrade-from-windows-10-pro-to-home/345f5464-cb7a-44b3-8856-237cbec072c8?auth=1
  • iixamy

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    ok...so you need to re-install windows 10 and let the installer read the correct product key from BIOS OEM or try this trick but i'm not sure it will work:

I tried reinstalling but it still shows the error so I'll try the second method 
  • IronFly
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    Had you re-install using the Microsoft downloadable version and wiping the previous windows installation?

select the proper windows 10 version (the same installed on your laptop) and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    click on Start
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device

• iixamy

Tinkerer

IronFly said:

-
    2) download Rufus:
    -
    click on Start

Okay I just followed your instructions and I just checked earlier, it's now Windows 10 Home so I think that solves the problem! Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it!
  • Zaia
    Zaia Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    Hi...i have have activation problem.Please hlep me.It comes with windows 10 pro and the model is Aspire5 A514-51G.At first windows was activated by Organizer server.When i changed the product key by testing...i get this problem. I read from your post that Acer laptops come with pre installrd windows 10 home version.But my one come with win 10 pro. How to fix these problem?