How can make a Legacy BIOS Booting in Veriton M2631?

batijuank
batijuank Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hello everyone, I'm trying to setup a testing server for Proxmox 5.0 on Acer Veriton M2631. However I can't make the flash drive to boot in Legacy Mode in order to use ZFS install mode (As stated in proxmox wiki on ZFS on Linux page: It is not possible to use ZFS as root file system with UEFI boot). I already went to BIOS and disabled "Secure Boot" and set "Launch CMS" to Always. However boot menu still shows "UEFI: USB Flash Disk" only. Please help me.

I tried the same flash drive on an ASUS computer and I was able to boot in Legacy BIOS Mode.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited November 2017
    @batijuank

First try again to create your USB media with rufus.  Use the recommended legacy proxmox settings....whatever they may be.  :)  DD mode

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/failed-installation-from-usb.37039/

If that doesn't work....................

If your main hard drive is currently GPT partition style, your UEFI is possibly still expecting UEFI boot.  So you may have to completely wipe your main HDD to put it in an uninitialized state or initialize it as MBR.

To hopefully solve the problem, and force the UEFI in to full legacy mode, this is what I would do.......

1.  Create a Windows 10 USB using Microsoft's tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

2.  Go in to your BIOS settings and enable the F12 boot menu.

3. Boot the Windows 10 USB

4. When you see the first Windows language screen as shown below, press Shift+F10 on your keyboard to get command prompt

5. At the command prompt, type 

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk x   (x=the drive number you want to wipe clean)
    clean
    convert MBR
    exit
    exit

6. Press and hold your computer's power button until it shuts down (shuts off)

7.  Go in to BIOS settings and make sure you have secure boot disabled and launch CSM is set to always

8.  You should now be able to boot legacy (I think)

I can't guarantee any of above will work, but it's what I would try.

Note: If you have any trouble getting in to BIOS settings, you may have to temporarily disconnect your HDD sata power cable to regain access to BIOS.

Warning: diskpart clean will completely wipe your hard drive.

Note2: If the above doesn't work then please post your current BIOS version.

Note3: If you want to test my theory without wiping/converting your HDD, then try temporarily disconnecting your HDD sata power cable, and see if the proxmox USB will boot as legacy.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited December 2017

@batijuank

Ok, so I downloaded the proxmox 5.1 iso.  I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed as EFI.

1. I used rufus to create the USB media
    2. I used the settings in screenshot below.  I also selected iso image.  However, after I clicked "start", rufus prompted me and asked if I wanted DD mode...so I changed to DD mode.
    3. After the media was successfully created, I went in to UEFI settings and disabled secure boot, and set launch CSM to always and enabled the F12 boot menu.
    4.  It booted fine as legacy.  No problem.  I have the same Mainboard as your computer.

Good luck.
    I'm not an Acer employee.