Old man, old laptop battery woes

JohnDam
JohnDam Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I am an old man in the Philippines and recently been given a laptop for my personal use. Its an Acer Extensa 5620. The battry goes always low in just about 30 minutes of usage since it was given to me last Nov 1st. Now it shows warning that I should consider replacing the battery. Even if I do not have much I still tried to search the internet and see what are the prices of a replacement battery. I was searching for a store that have the TM0041 battery model but here i my part of the world I cannot find one. All I can see are online stores. I do not have a credit card and only have meager finances as the more important things are my medications and for day-to-day expenses. I can't ask my sons just like that as they have their own family expenses especiallythey each have their teens. And they literally eat up most of their parents finances --education, teen things and the like. 

Also I cannot find a replacement battery either here. Well the model Acer Extensa 5620 is outdated already thus a replacement is hard to come by here. In my searching I saw a "portable battery pack". The weblink is below,

This I can afford but I'd have no means of knowing if it can work with this old laptop. Can someone who knows this things check it out? I do not have the proper knowledge in this things as I just started in the internet 2 years ago when I was given an old desktop (now junk). The internet helps me out really and I like passing the time with it. Seeing places and news around the globe. Pictures and sometimes watching videos of my grandkids is what I do. 

I can't always use the power cord and plug it in always as it gets hot after 2 hours of use. I was wishing earlier that I find a store here for cheap battery replacement, a store where I can go to purchase it myself and not trouble my sons or someone esle. But sadly I did not find anything. I called my son and he told me to visit your website,

This is a first for me although I am reading some security forums now but scared to join because of my age. I do not want to get bullied. I rely on my sons to update whatever needs updating on my old desktop before. I still am trying to learn here..sorry. 

Can the one on top suffice for me at the moment I do not have the means to purchse a replacement battery? 

If so, how do I use it? How do I care for it? What are does and don'ts of using a portable battery pack?

I do not plan on taking the laptop out though. It's just home use. The laptop is quite heavy unlike what my grandkids use but it has a DVD player and I like that. I use it to watch DVD video most of the time. So it's always on my work table. I look in the internet or watch DVD there. I only bring it to my bed when I watch movie there. 

I just rely on my pension and its where I get my existense. I do now want to add to my sons woes at the moment because of the grandkids. They are bunch to manage financially and I know how hard it is. The education alone is an issue as well as the bills. 

Please help me with my dilemma. I know buying a new model is best but as of the moment adn necessity I do not have that means. I am happy with this gift. I dont need much as I am old now. Just a little help please, advise me if the ones above can suffice for me in the meantime and how to use it please.

Thanks for understanding. 

John

Answers

• JohnDam
    JohnDam Member Posts: 2 New User
    I wanted to post a picture but I do not know how. Maybe next time. Thank you. 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,467 Trailblazer
    If it overheats, you might try to vacuum the air intake port to remove dust buildup that may be clogging the cooling fan. As for the battery, there are no guarantees that the connectors on the portable batteries that you found will actually mate properly with the connectors in the laptop --- it's a gamble. The "consider replacing your battery"  indicator usually means that it's internal control circuit is not functioning properly. But the battery itself should probably work much like it has for quite some time. Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ