Will there be updated Windows 10 Creators Update drivers for Aspire V3-111p?

bluescreen_victim
bluescreen_victim Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
A few weeks ago, the Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 was (finally) rolled out to my Aspire V3-111P box. Before that, Windows 10 was running smooth and stable for more than a year, the last months with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update 1607.

Anyway, as soon as the upgrade to 1703 was installed, I started getting sporadic Bluescreen (BSOD) crashes. The system might run for several hours with no apparent trouble, sometimes even "survive" a suspend-to-RAM over night and a couple of hours after resume, to finally crash into the BSOD some time (merely seconds or also various hours) later. Or the BSOD might occur only a few minutes after a fresh system boot. Totally sporadical, I couldn't find any pattern as to what applications to run, having many or very little system resources used or whatever.

Right after the installation of 1703, also the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 became available to my system, and I did the next upgrade right away. Unfortunately, the BSODs persisted.

After having many hours and days of support chat with Microsoft (and believe me, after having to repeat your issue for the xth time despite giving them the case number, this experience really loses any appeal!), and in the process having every inch of RAM and CPU and SSD and Windows installation checked, several in-place upgrades of the same Windows 10 1709 version, other upgrades, downgrades, rollbacks, re-installations -- all in all, several days of precious live time and energy wasted! --, we finally came to the realization that V3-111P apparently is not compatible with Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 or later. One might also conclude so from these two overviews, where V3-111P is not listed:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-creators-update
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-fall-creators-update

Apparently, something was changed by Microsoft in that version, which would require updated Acer drivers to continue working reliably. The BSODs even occurred in a totally fresh and "naked" installation of Windows 10 1703, with everything purely Microsoft, not a single driver or software or other byte side-loaded outside of Windows Update.

Crash dump excerpts, in case someone is interested:
"WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)"
"Arg2: ffffd3037f198028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure."
"FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE"
"Error         : GCACHEL2_ERR_ERR (Proc 2 Bank 2)"  (<< with varying Proc and Bank numbers with each crash)

After way too much struggle, I am now back -- with a lot of time, some work and all applications lost -- at a naked Windows 10 build 1607 (the Anniversary Update version) and constantly have to be alert to not have Microsoft force-upgrade the system to 1703 or later once again. Unfortunately, this also means a nearing end of life for this box only 3 years after purchase, as Microsoft will stop providing security updates for the now-outdated 1607 version soon.

Hence my question: Will Acer provide updated Windows 10 1703+ drivers for the Aspire V3-111P? Or are there newer drivers available for another device with similar/compatible hardware? Any pointers?

Thanx.

Best Answer

• bluescreen_victim
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    An update: A few days ago, I contacted Acer support in Germany directly. They replied the next day, so in fact, really fast. Though, it wasn't as much help as I'd hoped:

They explained that, while Acer built/assambled the computer, Acer does not create the drivers for the components themselves. The device drivers are written by components' manufacturers, e.g. Intel, Realtek, NVIDIA, AMD, and the like. Of course, they said that they have no information on if and when the manufacturers develop updated drivers for their components -- but in case they did indeed provide new drivers at some point, needless to say that Acer would certainly upload them in their drivers support section right away. :/

I suppose giving those very manufacturers a nudge to make them update the drivers, so that Acer computers can be safely used for more than 2 or 3 years is not in Acer's portfolio. Hopes buried.

Answers

• Aspi
    Aspi Member Posts: 11 New User
    I'm having the exact same issue with my Aspire V3-772G minus the crashes, but with black/white/flashing screens of death. The only way to get it work is to boot in safe mode and uninstall the intel HD Graphics display adapter and run on the microsoft basic display driver. My V3-772G is also not listed as Windows 10 (Fall) Creators Update compatible.

And I also have gone through the exact same ordeal described above, minus downgrading t the 1607 build (Anniversary Update vesion). 

How did you manage to find that version?

My laptop is also only 3 years old. 

I have posed the driver question to acer through twitter 4 days now and still haven't gotten an answer.
  • bluescreen_victim
    Hi Aspi,

sorry for the late reply, I had some troubles with the mail notifications of this forum.

Aspi said:
    How did you manage to find that version?

Someone from the Microsoft Support chat provided me with a link to the download of the ISO. Though, it took two or three tries 'till they gave me the link to the correct version.

Aspi said:
    I have posed the driver question to acer through twitter 4 days now and still haven't gotten an answer.

They didn't reply here, either, even though there seem to be Acer officials around at least occassionally. So I'm not surprised.

Three years old notebooks don't bring them any profit. And to me it really doesn't look like Acer strives to have or create an image for themselves to offer long-term support or customer loyalty/retention. This is not my first Acer device, and all of them got neglected by Acer almost as soon as they left the shelf. So, probably better we naïve fools better buried our hopes.

• bluescreen_victim
    Someone from the Microsoft Support chat provided me with a link to the download of the ISO. Though, it took two or three tries 'till they gave me the link to the correct version.

Just an advise: Insist on a direct link to an ISO of version 1607. Don't settle with them merely sending you an automated mail after the chat ends with a link to their "Media Creation Tool" (MCT) and a "Product Catalog" products_xxxxxxxx.cab file. When they did that with me, they sent me the CAB file with a version, supposedly containing the appropriate catalog to create and re-install 1607. From the file's version number, it was impossible for me to know or confirm which version of Windows 10 ISO I was working on. Nowhere ever would the MCT show the Windows 10 version that was being downloaded, prepared and installed. After several hours of downloading, creating the ISO and having MCT re-install the new, old Windows 10 version, I ended up with ... *drumroll*

Windows 10 1703. The very same that started all my troubles in the first place. And of course was greeted with the Bluescreen only a short time later. Another several hours wasted. :s

So, again, I recommend insisting on the direct link to the ISO of 1607. When I clearly and explicitly asked the 5th or 6th Support tech I chatted with, they sent me the link within a minute or two.

(Actually, I wanted to try and send you that same link via PM, but firstly it was lost to my browser history due to the re-installation, and secondly, as far as I see, those links are only valid for up to 24 hours anyway.)
  • JanickBellmont
    JanickBellmont Member Posts: 1 New User
    The chipset_intel setup creat's bluescreen's so don't download them or even better delete this fu**!!!
  • bluescreen_victim
    edited November 2017
    The chipset_intel setup creat's bluescreen's so don't download them or even better delete this fu**!!!

Hi, thanks for the advise, I truly understand your apparent frustration. However, as I explained, even a totally "naked" Windows 10 1703 or later, with not a single application or driver installed outside of what comes with Windows installation and Windows Updates, gave me this BSOD issue. So, I definitely hadn't installed any "chipset_intel setup" or the like -- at least nothing that didn't come with Windows out-of-the-box.
  • bluescreen_victim
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    An update: A few days ago, I contacted Acer support in Germany directly. They replied the next day, so in fact, really fast. Though, it wasn't as much help as I'd hoped:

They explained that, while Acer built/assambled the computer, Acer does not create the drivers for the components themselves. The device drivers are written by components' manufacturers, e.g. Intel, Realtek, NVIDIA, AMD, and the like. Of course, they said that they have no information on if and when the manufacturers develop updated drivers for their components -- but in case they did indeed provide new drivers at some point, needless to say that Acer would certainly upload them in their drivers support section right away. :/

I suppose giving those very manufacturers a nudge to make them update the drivers, so that Acer computers can be safely used for more than 2 or 3 years is not in Acer's portfolio. Hopes buried.

• romibanshee
    romibanshee Member Posts: 2 New User
    bluescreen_victim said:

Well, after seeing your post I should feel blessed that the only thing for the Aspire ES1 notebooks that doesn't work is the camera... (it seems to be a Windows problem since Lenovo, Toshiba and other brands experienced the exact same problem too).
    It's been a month and it's bugging me because I need the camera, but I see it can be worse.
    Unfortunately I don't speak German to check their page for drivers, and I guess it will be hard since I have no idea who manufactured the integrated camera or which brand/model is it (that info is nowhere to be found). But I hope they provide the drivers in the english language page too.
  • carvster
    carvster Member Posts: 1 New User
    Has anyone received any more info on updated drivers? I can no longer see my 5ghz wireless connection after the Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 on my V3-111P-C9Z3. Have been looking for solution and just found this discussion.