Acer Switch 3 - possibility to reinstall Windows

traumfaenger
traumfaenger Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2017 in Switch Series
Hello, dear members!

I've recently bought a Acer Switch 3 with Windows 10 S preinstalled on it.
Since my day-to-day usage required Win32 apps being able to run, I happily upgraded the license to
Windows 10 Pro through Microsoft Store.

Now, my Apps are running fine, and I'm overall satisfied with the device! Thank you!

But I do indeed encounter some problems though.
In the event manager I see some errors being written down and Windows Update service is constantly reporting errors in the database.
I've tryed some solutions, but they didn't work out as expected. I have to say - we have 2 of these devices in my household, so the other one has same issues.

Speaking of which, that's the reason I'm here.
As I do type "winver" - I see a x86-64 system over here - so I could use Microsoft Windows 10 ISO to clean install the system.
But I have doubts. You see, lately I have seen some devices with TPM at UEFI - level, and this is what holds me back.

I need this device to work, and a day or two configuring it, is fine for me. But now a week till I manage out, how to trick UEFI to do a fresh install.... uff

So my question is:

Does Acer gives out, I don't know, maybe via a request or somehow else, an installation ISO for the Switch 3?
(Please, don't tell me about the recovery partition, it will install this broken image - even after upgrading to Pro and updating to Creator Falls Update the image is up-to-date, but with this issues - I did it already :) )

Or can you guys, or someone at Acer give me any advices how I could install Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, at least, whether it would properly install and recognize the SDD during the installation process.

Much thanks!
Have a nice week :)

Sincerely, traumfaenger

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    try this, download the non "S" version (Home/Pro are in the same ISO, it just depends on product key)
    1) download a windows 10 iso using Microsof tool:
    select the proper windows 10 version and choose to save it as iso file when prompted
    2) download Rufus:
    plug your USB flash drive, run Rufus then:
    select ISO image from the dropdown menu near "Create a bootable disk"
    click on the little icon on the right and browse to the windows 10 downloaded iso file
    as  Partitions scheme select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI"
    as File system select "FAT32"
    click on Start
    wait until it finish, then uplug your USB flash drive
    3) backup all your personal data
    4) Reboot to BIOS, pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default and F10 to save and exit
    5) plug your USB flash drive and at boot press F12 (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab), choose the USB flash drive as bootable device
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • traumfaenger

Tinkerer

Thank you for your reply.
    I have to admit, that the way you decribed it is know to me, I appreaciate it though.

My reason hesitating, instead of doing it is the to me unknown changes to the recovery partition, that's why I rather wait until a official Acer person says something about the outcome :)

Much thanks.
    Sencerely,
    traumfaenger
  • traumfaenger

Tinkerer

Sorry, I could not save the changes to my last post. Reposting:
    Thank you for your reply.
    I have to admit, that the way you decribed it is know to me, I appreaciate it though.

My reason hesitating, instead of doing it is the to me unknown changes to the recovery partition, that's why I rather wait until a official Acer person says something about the outcome :)

Edit: What I stress is, whether - after a fresh install it woud be still possible to use the recovery function.
    The recovery partition is only 1Gb big, so the complete Windows Image simply can not be placed there.

And after a fresh install - will the recovery partition somehow be updated? Imagine - I restore the system,
    will it restore my pervious image before the fresh install, or will it be the "updated" one?

I know, many questions. But as a consumer, I want not only to consume but also to understand what happens behind.

Much thanks.
    Sencerely,
    traumfaenger
  • IronFly
    no, the Acer recovery partition is completely different from the windows stock; so you can create an USB recovery media from your actual installation, so it will have the Acer recovery partition (or you can buy an USB recovery media from Acer), Acer's recovery partition is just windows 10 with all the drivers and Acer applications already installed.

by the way, the Acer recovery merdia will install the windows 10 S version and then you will need to re-enter your Pro product key and do all the updates; installing from the Microsoft iso will give you the last available major release, so less updates.

keep in mind that the real (1GB) recovery partition, is what you need to do a system restore if you did a backup; what you mean as bigger recovery partition (Acer) is in fact a partition used to re-install windows as out of factory.

• traumfaenger

Tinkerer

First of all, I'd like to thank you for you taking time to help me out.
    As my schedule will allow - I will try to install W10Pro from a clean ISO on weekend.

I encounter one more problem, but I think it belongs into a new thread. It's regarding a Windows ink capable Wacom Bamboo Ink stylus and the laber the Switch 3 got - Windows Ink.

Maybe you know something about it.
    In the settings I can not assign buttons of the stylus to any further functions. Like the press on the back top of the stylus - whick in it's case is paired via Bluetooth. Well, I can perform standard tasks, but I can not customize. Both - I want to point out - says it's Windows Ink compatible. I have it's a software issue and I can solve it by reinstalling Windows.

There is a software from Wacom - "Wacom Feel" but it's not supporting the Switch 3. What a shame. Nor Windows Ink features let me customize the stylus.

Have a nice evening!
    Sincerely, traumfaenger
  • traumfaenger

Tinkerer

*** UPDATE:

Just installed Windows 10 from ISO made by guide @IronFly posted above.
    Some insights I'd like to share.

1) Backup your Windows 10 Pro key.
    In the ISO are all versions included - and somehow the System decided to install Windows 10 S again.
    Go in Settings -> System -> Change Product Key : enter the one you've saved before. It becomes instantly a Pro version.

2) During the installation!
    Don't play with the partition scheme! Windows Setup will by default select the Partition it belongs in (the biggest)
    this is also the one partition you can format to do a clean install.

3) Most drivers are being downloaded by Windows Update automatically! Nice!
    Only update some outdated Intel drivers via their System Check app - it will update on its own.

4) Rotation sensor is inverted. Disable autorotation, or you'll have to do "the opposite" to reach your desired setting.

5) System is a bit more responsive, although I have not expirienced any speed-related issues before.

6) Windows Update works - no constantly messed up database. Enjoy!

7) Windows Ink - since the components have been updated in a "more correct" way - now you can map the buttons of your stylus.

I have not checked whether there are any imporovements regarding palm rejection. Just seems that the Store's OneNote is better optimized
    than the full Office OneNote 2016. Maybe there were some updates to it, but WU was broken. Will check futher more.

Thank you again!
    And if you ask me, I would recommend a clean install after upgrading from S to Pro!

Sincerely,
    traumfaenger
  • traumfaenger

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    One thing I forgot to point out,

I've installed "BatteryCare" from its official website.
    It's a nice app that runs in your taskbar - but it also provides you some useful data.

The device - being old couple of days - has a wear leave of battery reaching 8%!
    I don't know how accurate the data is, but take it into account when buying.

When I run from cmd : "powercfg /batteryreport" it show me the same result.
    The capacity dropped by the value > -1000 mWh (nominal: 35 Wh ; now: 33 Wh). Not good.

Average runtime ~7hrs with Wifi, 20-30% brightness. (Before the drop)
  • traumfaenger

Tinkerer

4) Rotation sensor is inverted. Disable autorotation, or you'll have to do "the opposite" to reach your desired setting.
    FIXED: The driver .dll provided by WU has this bug.
    Since we have got two of those devices in our household, I quickly followed the guide by Phil Wiffen (can not post a link).
    It's from kabri dot uk. Title is Getting the Bosch Accelerometer to work on Chuwi Hi 8 Windows 10 Anniversary Edition.

I did a back-up copy of the driver from the still-original installation.

If you need the fix, you will have to replace "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\UMDF\BoschAccelerometer.dll" with the original file.
    Timestamp differs, but both files are digitally signed, so Windows has no troubles handling it - and you know it's valid.

Post a request, if you need it.

• IronFly
    good you sorted out and yes i forgot to mention that you will need to re-input your PRO product key, since windows 10 installation will read your original product key from UEFI.

about battery wear, 8% is a bit too much on a new battery.
  • traumfaenger

Tinkerer

edited November 2017
    IronFly said:
    good you sorted out and yes i forgot to mention that you will need to re-input your PRO product key, since windows 10 installation will read your original product key from UEFI.

about battery wear, 8% is a bit too much on a new battery.
    This is exactly was I was thinking about. I really dont know how to handle it.
    Here in Germany the warranty is half a year for the battery. Right now it has a loss of 8.33% (32Wh)
    At wich point is it an RMA?

The other device is at ~4.5% - both about 1 1/2 weeks old
  • IronFly
    edited November 2017
    Call Acer support service and tell them about the battery, it's up them if RMA or not ;)
  • Thiz1125
    Thiz1125 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited March 2021
    I bought an Acer Spin 3 today and I absolutely $%^&! hate it!  Well, not so much the Acer,
    but the lousy Windows 10  &*%$# S *****!  I tried to replace it with a plain Win 10, but when
    I try to activate it, I get cannot be activated, blah-blah-blah.  More anger!  What's going
    on here? 
     I have the regular Win 10 on a USB drive,  but the ***** computer won't recognize it on bootup. I even went into the bios to change the startup, to no avail, apparently.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

I bought some expensive art and other programs that I NEED on my computer!  This whole thing is ridiculous!  Why would Acer agree to such an arrangement that screws everyone ????

Thanking the help person in advance.  I am desperate and furious!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    @Thiz1125 you should start your own thread instead of camping out on one that's several years old. It's easy enough to switch Windows modes. To turn off Windows 10 S Mode, click the Start button then go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation. Select Go to the Store and click Get under the Switch out of S Mode panel. S mode is a choice you made when you purchased this model, you could have also gotten it with regular Windows 10 Home. People usually choose S mode when they don't need the full functionality and want the extra security, like for a school notebook or one for a child.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.