Trouble Adding Ram to GX 785

Options
mrrva
mrrva Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I am trying to add 4 strips of 8gb memory (Trident z) to a new computer but the dimm 4 doesn't seem to work.  It isn't the Ram, it works in a different slot.  The computer has a constant beep and won't start with a strip in dimm 4.  Is that something I can fix or does that mean the motherboard is not good?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Have you tried connecting a RAM to this slot only? You can look for any bent pins on the port. If these are the RAM slots 1-2-3-4, you can try re-arranging the RAM sticks in the slots. For example try with 2 RAM sticks, connecting them to 1 and 3, then 2 and 4, then 1 and 2, and 3 and 4. If there are no bent pins and the 4th port doesn't work in any of these situations, we can assume that the problem is in the motherboard or something is wrong with the BIOS. You can update the BIOS, by downloading the latest version from here. If BIOS is already updated or updating it doesn't fix anything, then you should contact Acer support.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• mrrva
    mrrva Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I switched one good strip into just the bad socket and it still didn't work.  I don't see any bent pins in the socket.  I have the latest bios but I need instructions on how to install it.  It has been 20 years since I've done a bios and it is very different in there now, although the UEFI is nice.  Can you recommend a good how to site?

Thanks!
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can download the latest BIOS from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/7129?b=1

The executable file is archived, so you will have to extract it first, then run the executable(.exe) file. The system may restart several times, so don't turn it off.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!