How do I get Android to run on my Acer Chromebook?

Options
ryanwcanada
ryanwcanada Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi there, this is my first time owning a Chromebook I have read that the Acer R11 which I have purchased (CB5-132T-C7R5) could run android apps. I've been trying what Google says to do which is change to developer mode but the android apps title didn't come up.  
I did notice however that the OS system is a 52.0.2743.120. 

Any help that I could get would be much appreciated. I can still return this if it won't work to get Android apps. 

Thanks 
Ryan

Answers

• Voliam
    Voliam Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Ryan, the CB is able to run Android apps, though not all. You need to install the Play Store app just like you would with an Android device, and install apps from there.
    Be advised that not all apps in the Play Store will run on a CB. You may see a dialogue in the app information that states whether or not the app is compatible with you CB. Additionally, you may find some apps don't work as designed on the CB, and you may have to uninstall them accordingly.

You should also update Chrome- it's currently version 62.x.xxxx.
  • Voliam
    Voliam Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I neglected to mention not all CBs are Play Store compatible.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    To get Android apps on your Chromebook, first update your Chromebook software. Your Chromebook must run Chrome OS version 53 and up. 

Sign in to the Google Play Store. Click your account photo. Click Settings Settings.
    In the "Google Play Store" section, turn on Enable Google Play Store on your Chromebook.
    In the window that appears, click Get Started.
    You’ll be prompted to agree to the Terms of Service. When you’ve read and agreed, click Agree.
    To confirm your current Google account, click Sign In.
    You’ll see the Google Play Store app open. In the box that appears, click Accept.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • elle86
    elle86 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    i can't get google play store to turn on on my chromebook. my sister has the same exact chromebook and is able to use google play store but i can't figure it out.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Which model do you have? Which OS version is installed right now? Are there updates available?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.